We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 day stay in Austin

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
4 day stay in Austin

We are two aussie ladies wanting information on accommodation, music venues (Blues and Country and Western), and restaurants, we intend coming to Austin in September of next yeaer for 4 days. e won't be driving so and we are not that young, so the location of the hotel is very important.

We would appreciate any advise

Thanks

Carol

US
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 day stay in Austin

Try to make it to the Broken Spoke, even if you have to take a cab. This is classic Texas.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 day stay in Austin

What range of accomodations are you looking for, budget, mid-range, or high-end?

Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 day stay in Austin

we are looking at mid range hotels - say up to $140 per night, hope you have suggestions

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,437 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 day stay in Austin

I don't think we can get you downtown where you could walk to almost everything and not need at car for $140. That's a price for a double at motels in areas away from downtown and you would need a car. Austin is very spread out, but if you are downtown then you'd have clubs, lots of restaurants nearby, museums, theatre venues and shopping down on Congress Avenue where you could take a $1 bus ride the 10 blocks or so away from downtown and more. Most of the downtown hotels are $200 and up

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
787 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 day stay in Austin

If you have firm dates, it's not too early to make reservations. There's quite a few messages in this forum about using priceline for downtown hotels (use the search function). I would recommend contacting the Austin Motel or Hotel San Jose and see what their availability is. South Congress is a very vibrant, walkable area. Most of the downtown hotels are going to be pretty good, but the rates may depend on when you'll be here. If there is a big event or football that weekend, there's generally no special pricing. As long as you stay south of the state capital building and west of IH35, you'll be in a very walkable area, with the exception of the Holiday Inn. The link below is a great resource for the locations of the hotels.

ci.austin.tx.us/downtown/default2.htm#maps

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 day stay in Austin

For your price range check out the Extended Stay America at 6th and Guadalupe. It's not fancy but it's a great location and would probably do just fine for you. Another less expensive option for downtown is the La Quinta by the capitol. And truly I prefer the Extended Stay America for location.

The main thing you'll want to watch for is avoid a weekend that the University of Texas is playing at home. Hotels fill up quickly and rates are up.

The sooner you can lock in a good date the more options you'll have.

If you're in town on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday, don't miss Esther's Follies, 6th and Red River. It's a fun way to start the night.

Broken Spoke is a must given that you like country and western music. It will be a very inexpensive cab ride from downtown. Checked out the web sites of the places mentioned.

www.austintexas.org is the official web site for the Austin Convention and Visitors Bureau. It's stocked with lots of info.

Welcome to Austin!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 day stay in Austin

I am going to Austin in January and am staying at the Holiday Inn Town Lake. I've stayed here before with my husband and this time it's a girls vacation. The hotel is reasonably priced in your range, they transport to/from the airport and have a shuttle to take you within 5 miles of the hotel at no charge! Tipping the driver of course.

There is a restaurant there and a bar which I like to have on site as well. The staff is incredibly friendly and go out of their way.

I am really hoping to find my second visit to this hotel as great as the first. I'll be sure to let you know but do make a reservation. Make sure you can cancel and keep on checking the rates to change at 2 or 3 of your favorites. Then you cancel and take the lower rate.

Have a great time. I fell in love with Austin in 10 minutes.

8. Re: 4 day stay in Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2012, 10:17