We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainey Street

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
Rainey Street

I have been reading about Rainey Street and all the cool spots that are there since I last visited Austin in 2009. I have been warned not to walk around the HI Town Lake area at night. Would this include walking to and from Rainey St? We were hoping to go and spend a night walking around and checking things out. If we would be better off taking a cab please let me know. Maybe during the day it would be ok?

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,450 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainey Street

No direct knowledge. Proximity to the civic center seems to be walkable even after dark. It's only three blocks. But I will defer to the Austin experts when they weigh in.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainey Street

I would still take a cab. It looks close on the map, but once you get out of the Rainey Street bar area, you have to walk along the river (Lady Bird Lake, formerly known as Town Lake) to get to the hotel and that area can be sketchy at night. Play it safe and take a cab.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainey Street

MrTed said exactly what I would say. Looks close, but why take a chance? Cabs are worth every penny in situations like this. Don't take a chance and ruin your vacation!

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainey Street

Thank you both for the reassuring email. A cab it is! You are right. Why take a chance and ruin a great visit and vacation.

I sincerely appreciate all the advice on this and the other forum questions I asked. :)

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,687 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainey Street

I met a young man today at PT who lives in a high rise right by Rainey Street. I asked again how he felt about walking around down there. He said exactly the same thing. Immediately on Rainey Street fine, but off it there are dark and iffy pockets. He didn't recommend walking to and from HI.

Hope this helps.

Daytona Beach...
Level Contributor
265 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainey Street

How nice of you to send that post. Thank you so very much. Warn Austin that we are coming in tomorrow! Have a great holiday weekend.

7. Re: Rainey Street

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2013, 10:21