We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
273 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

My two teens and I will be visiting Austin late February to tour UT Austin. I am trying to decide between Embassy Suites and the Doubletree Suites. Prices seem comparable. My son would like to really get the feel of life as a college student in Austin and will be spending one night in a dorm but would like to check out the social scene the remaining nights. I am interested in NOT renting a car if possible, preferring to walk to UT and to restaurants.

Which hotel is closer to the "action" so to speak for my son? Which hotel is closer to UT and restaurants (walking distance if possible)?

I appreciate all your help and am looking forward to our trip. Thank you.

Austin Detours
Sightseeing Tours
Segway Nation
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours
Bike and Brew ATX
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Double Decker Austin Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Round Rock, Texas
Level Contributor
143 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

The Doubletree would be within walking distance to UT (say ~6 blocks -- depending on where on campus you're going) & a good number of restaurants (not necessarily fancy restaurants, but there are tons quick/cheap -- and even good -- places to eat around UT, naturally). The Embassy Suites would a longer walk (~25 blocks) from the UT Campus, but would be closer to the areas most tourists seem to want to visit (i.e. SoCo and 6th street), with shopping/restaurants/clubs/etc.

Since it seems like you'd be walking (either to campus or to things to do) from either hotel, you might check out the city bus system (http://www.capmetro.org/). Bus service city-wide doesn't impress me, but is far better around UT & downtown.

Enjoy the trip!

Rancho Palos...
Level Contributor
273 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

Thank you so much. I didn't realize that the downtown area was so far from UT! It may be better for us to rent a car if we decide to stay in the downtown area. I just want to be where my son would find more of a sample of student life.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,788 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

We've stayed at the Embassy Suites many times on visits to our UT student and over move in, etc. It's a nice hotel, with a great breakfast but it really is a long walk to the campus from there. We've also stayed at the Doubletree and it is much closer to UT--an easy walk.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

Downtown isn't really that far from UT, but the Embassy Suites is south of downtown, across the river (Lady Bird Lake). The total distance from the hotel to the center of campus, which is huge, is less than three miles. Possibly too far to walk, but not really far enough to warrant a car. The Doubletree is in a good location for visiting UT, as it is just a couple of blocks from the far south end of campus, but it's not a great location for experiencing the nightlife. It's in an area that is mostly state government office buildings, so it's pretty dead on the weekends and weekday evenings. I would stay at the Embassy Suites and take a cab to campus if he feels like it's too far to walk.

Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
6,029 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

Here's a map that will help with where hotels are located in relation to UT

…austin.tx.us/downtown/…downtown_hotels.pdf

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,793 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

UT has a big campus! So I'd definitely suggest you use Embassy Suites and then take a cab to the part of campus you want. Doubleree is okay but there's not much to recommend its location other than it's a couple of blocks to south end of campus.

Not much in the way of interesting restaurants or anything else around the Doubletree. I can think of an Indian restaurant and a Tex Mex. And there's Texas Chili Parlor. I'm assuming you won't be going to campus each time with student so you'll find the Embassy Suites will be way more interesting for you. You'll find many neat shops and restaurants easy walking from there.

Cabs are not expensive in Austin. You really don't need a car unless you especially want one.

Welcome to Austin and Hook 'em!

7. Re: Embassy Suites Downtown vs. Doubletree Suites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 January 2013, 10:31