We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

NYC
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

Hi,

I'm planning a long weekend in Austin with my girlfriends in early September. We want to go on a wine tour, eat some bbq, catch live shows, and check out the bar scene. Can you provide some recommendations? We are looking to have drinks and party a bit (this is an unofficial bachelorette afterall), but don't want to get caught in the middle of a frat party.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

Check out the Domain area. There are two hotels, the Westin and Aloft (both Starwood hotels). There is a lot of shopping - Macy's, Tiffany's, LV, etc. and at least a dozen bars and restaurants. The crowd is youngish, but unlike 6th street, not college age or "urban".

The Domain is located on a main freeway so its easy to get places... as long as its not rush hour.

There's a lot to choose from in the city and you still have a lot of time to plan.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

I am going to disagree with Wally on the Domain. It's basically an upscale suburban shopping center that could be anywhere. There is nothing Austin-y about it, and you have all of those stores and more in NYC.

Not sure what's wrong with "urban", but I would always recommend staying downtown, especially for people who are interested in night life. I am a woman, just a few years older than your group, and I would have no problem staying downtown alone or with a group of girlfriends.

Sixth Street tends to attract more of the college crowd, but the Warehouse District attracts a slightly older (late 20s and up) crowd, as does the area around the W Hotel and 2nd Street. If you really want the party scene, I would highly recommend staying at the W. South Congress is also fun. There are funky local shops and the bar at the Hotel San Jose is a popular hang out. Good restaurants in that area, too, in addition to some of the city's wonderful food trucks.

Most of the wineries are west of town, along Hwy 290 on the way into Fredericksburg, but there are a few in and around Driftwood and Wimberley. I highly recommend visiting the Duchman Family Winery in Driftwood and having dinner at the restaurant there - Trattoria Lisina.

http://trattorialisina.com/

http://duchmanwinery.com/

I know there are tour companies that will take you out to visit several wineries, if you would rather not drive, I have just never done one, as we usually drive ourselves. (The tastings are not enough to get anyone intoxicated.) This company is mentioned often if you want to do a tour - http://www.winetoursoftexas.com/

Edited: 26 April 2012, 17:02
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

Sorry Wally, I really don't recommend the Domain for any New Yorkers. They have every store in NY that's in the Domain and they have the big mother ships of those stores. Restaurants, bars and music are limited out there.

I think MrTed gave you the same advice I'd give. Stay downtown;, remember the college kids don't show up till 10:30 - 11:00 on 6th Street. As I've said before the majority of the college kids are great and I'd hate for you to miss part of what makes Austin "Austin"!

Don't miss riding in one of the pedicabs all over downtown. It'll give you another taste of the local scene.

You could easily rent a car for a day to do the wineries west of town. There's not a lot of wine, and you'll be able to play at being Texans for the day. Hertz has a downtown location and I think they'll bring it to your hotel.

Staying downtown will help you understand the vibe that makes Austin cool!

Definitely stop in for a drink at the Driskill Hotel on 6th and enjoy the beautiful restoration of a fine old city institution.

Welcome to Austin!~

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

Lol my feelings aren't hurt... didn't notice the OP was from NYC

My "urban" comment meant that I thought 6th st is becomming more hard core and even gang like.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

Hi Wally!

99% of the bad things that happen on 6th Street occur in the wee morning hours, way after midnight and in dark alleys. Just like any other major city.

6th Street truly is fine earlier in the evening, and everything else about common sense applies. No dark alleys, don't leave a drink unattended, travel with one or more companions, don't dress overly provocative---you see what I mean?

Forgive me, I'll get off my soapbox now!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

I did some serious partying on 6th street last weekend and some of the problems were pretty brazen including some pushing fights and yelling of cuss words back and forth.

Austin Texas
Level Contributor
80 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

6th street is still fun and enjoyable as long as you do not suspend your reality. There are bad people everywhere. I don't think there are many on 6th street but it is incredibly fun. You need to streach yourself down lamar to the SAXON pub and Emo's. Make sure you all stay together and have a designated semi sober person. THIS IS COMMON SENSE.

I live herre and have for 15 years. I will never leave because of the wonderful people. I go to 6th street a few times a year and am much older than 28. But still a whole lot of old Austin fun down there. You have to go to the dive bar Mean eyed Cat.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

It'll still be HOT in September so I would definitely plan on some water activities if I were you! Hit Barton Springs pool or rent a boat on Lake Travis if ya'll have the money!

BBQ- The Salt Lick; it also happens to have a wine cellar PLUS it is nearby to a few other wineries... I think Driftwood Estate Winery?

Esters Follies is great, too! (live show)

For dancing and nightlife, yeah, stroll down Sixth Street but I would personally spend my time in the Warehouse District. A little older crowd and not so rowdy. Don't get me wrong, you'll have a great time but 6th Street (to me) seems more geared to tourists and the young (and drunk).

NYC
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

Thank you - this is all very helpful. I appreciate your input!

Austin
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Girls weekend in Austin, TX - 28-31 year olds

I agree with the above re staying DT. That is where you will want to be. For your group, probably the best would be the W. Great pool and lounges. It is in the Second Street District/Warehouse District with great bars, music, and restaurants. An easy walk or short cab to West 6th which would be great for your group. A lot of bachelorette and bachelor parties stay at The Hilton. I am personally not impressed with it (you can see my review), but a lot of groups stay there - it is one block from 6th. An option that is in South Congress is Hotel St Cecilia. Great place, good for groups, great area, and a short cab to DT.

You have to go down 6th. There are some great bars and some good restaurants. Maybe start with dinner (Iron Cactus or Parkside), have some cocktails, and then move on to another area. I live DT and it is safe, as someone mentioned above, most issues are early morning when folks are very drunk (just like any area). Just be aware of your surroundings, people around you, and watch your drink (but your from NY, you know all this).

Idea for wine tour is to do a limo tour (look on TA or google Texas wine tours). This is a reasonable way to do this and still be able to party.

Enjoy!