We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
605 posts
113 reviews
Save Topic
Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

Hi - arriving next week, lots of fab suggestions on my last post. Much thought, and have come up with the following. We will be flexible out there, as we really don't know how we will be with the heat and what we will love or hate, but I like to have a rough plan. Any thoughts welcome, as always. Thanks - Heather..........

6 July - drive from Houston. Visit New Braunsfel, Gruene. Arrive Hotel. Dine locally (Stone Oak area). Perico's Mexican Grill / Los Barrios?

7 July – Enchanted Rock, Fredericksburg, Old Tunnel Wildlife Management Area (bats if poss, depends on time of day, Luckenbach

8 July – Austin, State Capitol, Bob Bullocks Museum, Wholefoods store (not really sure why!?) Congress Bridge at sunset (maybe) Music & lots of food suggestions.

9 July Early Riverwalk Cruise, IMAX, Alamo, walk some Riverwalk / back to hotel – chill / come back later?

10 July Cave with no Name, Boerne, chill / pool / local / evening by riverwalk - Boudros

11 July - Pedernales Falls SP, Lyndon B Johnson Nat Historical Park / ranch

12 July – Mi Tierra / Market Square, San Fernando Cathedral, 10am Mission San Jose, Tower of the Americas for a drink, La Villita area

13 July - leave for Houston, for wedding. Via suggestions of - Luling, Oakridge in Schulenberg, Bucees restrooms, Palmetto SP, Monument Hill & Kreische Brewery State Historic Site (gonna be an interesting journey!)

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,306 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

I hope you are following the temperatures here right now. For the last three days the highs in Houston, San Antonio and Austin have been between about 99 and 105 degrees F; evening "lows" are in the 80's F. It's brutal outside but the meteorologists say that things will cool down to the low to mid 90's F as highs for the beginning of next week.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
605 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

Thank you, I have concerns indeed for the weather / heat. The wedding, and therefore the trip were supposed to be in May, but were delayed.

Thank heaven for aircon.

I am assuming that most restaurants / museums are actually quite cool, and we may need a woolly?

Certainly has been the case in Florida and Vegas for us, but just checking, as Houston is v v humid too I believe?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

Almost all indoor places will seem very very cool compared to outside temperatures. A light sweater may be needed if you are going to be inside for long, but I find it's actually refreshing after being outside in this heat.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
605 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

Thanks for confirming, I will need something, if sitting for a meal I think, in the evening, hubby will be fine.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
396 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

Right now, I am sitting in my office, freezing to death, wearing a lightweight cardigan. We air condition very well in Texas and La! Quite often, the temps inside office buildings are down around 70 degrees. But like Mr. Ted said, if you've just come in from outdoors, it feels pretty good. It's only when you are inside one of those for an extended period of time (like at work) that it starts to get cold.

Better cold than hot! I see you've traveled a lot around the US. I'm guessing this will be the hottest temps you've experienced yet. Lots of water, sunscreen, and be prepared to sweat. LOL!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

Freezing in my office today, too! I'm wearing a sweater today and haven't been outside since I walked in at 8:15am, so I may go out for a few minutes to warm up.

Temperatures have been well over 100 degrees this week, but are expected to "cool down" to the mid-to-upper 90s this weekend. Still very hot.

texas
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

While at the Wildlife Tunnel visit Alamo Springs Cafe (alamospringscafe.com) WOW, is it great! Named one of the best burgers in Texas it offers a truly unique, off the beaten path kind of dining experience. If you fall in love with the Hill Country there is spectacular land for sale at The Preserve at Walnut Springs. A Private Community committed to preserving natural resources, rural character and Hill Country Heritage. Check out their website for ranch tours: www.walnut-springs.com

8. Re: Texas Hill Country - revised 1 week itinerary!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 23:45