We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

F1 hotel problems

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
liverpool
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Topic
F1 hotel problems

Looking at coming to austin for the grand pri hotels seem to be booked or very exspensive

thinking of of renting Motorhome any suggestions about companys to rent from and would it be possible to find a site near the race track to sleep at would be using public transport to get to track

Thanks for any info

Jinx

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: F1 hotel problems

jinx123, we have a couple of threads going about loding for F1 and you can see that people have been commenting about booked hotels, or very expensive hotels, since the race was announced last year. People have reported rooms going for well over $200 a night in cities that are more than an hour from Austin and the track.

There are several companies from which you can rent a motorhome in the area, but finding a place to park it that will allow access to the track by public transportation is going to be a huge challenge. Most public transportation options to the track are going to be from downtown Austin, which has nowhere to park a motorhome. There is some discussion about having shuttles that run from Travis County Expo Center, which is east of downtown, and race attendees will be able to park their vehicles out there, but I'm not sure about parking a motorhome out there. The city and county are still working on transportation plans, and there may be an option for camping or motorhome parking in that plan eventually, but I have not heard of any yet.

If you really want to attend the race, you can rent a motorhome, park it at a motorhome park in Round Rock, which is north of Austin, and also have a car that you can drive to one of the shuttle pick up locations. After all of that, it not be any less expensive than a hotel though.

You can google to get lots of rental options, but Cruise America is a very popular company - http://www.cruiseamerica.com/

Old Settlers RV Park in Round Rock is a decent place to park a motorhome/RV for overnight stay - texasoutside.com/txorails/…120 . I'm sure there are others, but I know people who stay at Old Settlers on a regular basis and they like it.

As I noted above, you will still need a car to get to one of the shuttle pick-up areas. There is no public transportation in Round Rock, or really in any of the cities outside of Austin that will have places to park a motorhome.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,217 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: F1 hotel problems

Below is an article that may help you in your plans. There is much discussion on our local news stations that F1 is going to have huge effect on Austin and because it has never been done, everyone involved in the planning is trudging along with their decisions. 30,000 people trying to get down a little paved country road off Hwy 71 is not going to be without problems. I guess you could say it's like the blind leading the blind. We are all used to getting in a car, driving to a venue, watching the show and driving home. Back in May our local newspaper wrote an article about possibility of it taking 12 hours to get to venue. Here is another article. Good luck with your plans.

ELROY, Texas -- Tickets for Austin's Formula One race go on sale Sunday. Three-day grandstand passes cost between $270 and $500, and as the race draws closer, local law enforcement officials continue to plan how to control the massive crowds.

For years, law enforcement has helped handle the rowdy football crowds at DKR Memorial Stadium on the University of Texas campus, but the Formula 1 race is a game changer.

“We're familiar with the stadium. We know how it is. We know all the parking areas and how to get traffic moved around,” Travis County Sheriff’s spokesman Roger Wade said. “This is a brand new event and a brand new location. It's about like a UT football game; it's just in the middle of an area that's never had a large-scale event before.”

More than 200 Travis County Sheriffs deputies will be at the new F1 track on race weekend. Circuit of the Americas is paying for them.

The sheriff's office continues to plan the best way to deal with medical emergencies, disorderly drunk patrons and other potential problems.

“The training is the same,” said Wade. "It's just applying that training to a brand new event we've never been to before.”

While sheriff's deputies will be in charge at the race, Commander William Manno says Austin Police Department officers will be patrolling major streets in and around town.

“Whether it's 183, 7th Street, Ben White, they're all going to be impacted,” Manno said.

Close to 150 APD officers will help with traffic problems and crowd control during special F1 events downtown.

APD is also training on how to deal with race fans from other countries.

“We're anticipating anywhere upwards of 30,000 people from outside the country, and there will be different levels of fans up to dignitaries,” Manno said. “Each officer is an ambassador for the city, and you need to be out there welcoming the people.”

Travis County tells KVUE officers from other agencies such as Mustang Ridge, Pflugerville, Sunset Valley and the Williamson County Sheriff's Department will be hired to help with security as well.

liverpool
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: F1 hotel problems

Big thanks for info, had a good look at hotel threads before i posted question, seems like nobody is too sure what way it will go down..

Great to hear there are so many people looking forward to this new event.

I am from liverpool uk so its long way for me to travel so need to get it right might have to wait till next year.,when i think info will be more to hand was looking to visit more of texas whilst there,have been to dallas in the past for corprate soccer event at southfork ranch and got to say the texas people are the best at welcoming anybody to the party.

Will watch austin threads for more info on F1 ,but sure it will be great race

Many Thanks Jinx

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: F1 hotel problems

I think waiting until next year is a good idea. We are locals and not planning to attend the first year. Hopefully all of the logistics will be worked out after the first race. The latest news stories are saying to expect at least 30,000 international visitors for the race, in addition to others from the U.S. and local area, so the city is building a new terminal at the airport for them! This event is going to be huge!

5. Re: F1 hotel problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 18 September 2012, 01:05
Edited: 18 September 2012, 01:05
Preston, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: F1 hotel problems

hi .me to am going to the gp.same probs that ur finding.am looking at camping sites ie holiday homes.(3 night stay in austin)if i come up with any will let u know..ps am from preston....

7. Re: F1 hotel problems

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 September 2012, 23:05
liverpool
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: F1 hotel problems

Thanks sounds like its going too take a while to sought out

Many Thanks Jinx

liverpool
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: F1 hotel problems

Official f1 site quotes flights,hotel,car hire, 3star ,Hotel 5 nights £1450/ £1790.00.

What quality are 3 star hotels in Austin

Will list more info later

Just a quick answer will do

Many Thanks Jinx

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: F1 hotel problems

3 Star hotels are basic, no frills hotels. If the hotel is a national or international chain, rooms should be more than adequate.