We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

restaurants along 71W/290 from Airport to Spicewood?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
restaurants along 71W/290 from Airport to Spicewood?

We are landing tomorrow night in Austin and heading out to Spicewood. Wondering if anyone had any recommendations for restaurants along the way. We'll head west on 290/71W to Spicewood. We've got some kids with us so the closer to the airport, the better. Trying to avoid fast food places, but would love a place that had some barbeque choices. Thanks!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: restaurants along 71W/290 from Airport to Spicewood?

Off the top of my head, on your direct route, is Vic's BBQ before you get to the I35. I've never eaten there. In Spicewood, there is Opies. The place doesn't look like much, but its yummy yummy.

If you don't mind taking a slight detour, there is Rudy's off of Capital of Texas 360. You'll have to take an exit off of 290 onto 360 and go past the Barton Creek Mall. To get back on your route, you head back the way you came, but take Loop 1 to 290. You'll definitely want to study a map and/or have a GPS before tackling that.

Edited: 17 July 2012, 22:04
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: restaurants along 71W/290 from Airport to Spicewood?

Thanks! i just checked out Vic's BBQ on line and was settled on going there. then I checked the hours! we arrive at 8 PM and they close at 8! I'll check out Rudy's.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,688 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: restaurants along 71W/290 from Airport to Spicewood?

Not strictly barbecue but lots of good food - Jack Allen's right on 71W.

www.jackallenskitchen.com/index.html

We haven't been there yet but multiple friends have and they love it. Good food, very reasonable prices etc.

I looked and they're open till 10.

Welcome to Austin!

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
789 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: restaurants along 71W/290 from Airport to Spicewood?

Jack Allen's is great, it is VERY popular and the parking lot can get crowded (we park in the building next to Sonic). The food is great. If you really wanted BBQ, there's Donn's Texas BBQ, just behind the split of Hwy 71 & 290 in Oakhill. It's off 290, behind the Planet Fitness. They have great pork ribs and it won't take you too far off your route. I don't know how late they're open. www.yelp.com/biz/donns-texas-bbq-austin

I really can't think of anything closer to the airport, but once you head out of the airport going west, there's one or two lights, then you get right on 71 and it only takes about 10 minutes to get to the end of the highway. Another thing to consider is what time you're coming in. Rush hour traffic where hwy 71/loop 1 end in Oakhill is horrible (the light just before William Cannon). I avoid it so I don't really know what time it lasts, but I tend to avoid it between 4:30 - 6:30.

Actually, depending what time your flight comes in, there's a Salt Lick BBQ in the airport (then you can go next door for Amy's Ice Cream). We really do have good airport food in Austin! If you think you might hit too much traffic, maybe you should just eat there.

5. Re: restaurants along 71W/290 from Airport to Spicewood?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 July 2013, 05:17