We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

We have tickets to this weekend's Iowa State game and will be coming from San Antonio. We have a place to park in West Campus. Will drive time be significantly affected? How long should we leave for the drive?

I know the gates open 2 hours early, but when does the band/team arrive?

We're wanting to try Franklin's. Will everything be nuts or could we hit it after the game?

Anything else we should know?

TIA. We are very excited!

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,387 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

Re Franklin's--people start to line up at about 9:00 am to make sure they get some BBQ--it's open until it's sold out and does lunch only. About 10:00 or 10:30 someone comes out and starts counting people in line to figure out where the food will run out--people beyond that point decide whether they want to take a chance and wait or not. Going after the game won't really be possible.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

Oh that's good to know. Because it would really be easier for us to go back to the condo but my husband got it in his head to try Franklin's. We'll have to try it another time. thanks TOWG

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

There usually is bad traffic on game day on I-35. Not sure how west you are on campus, but you may want to consider cutting over on 71, get off at 360 and go north on Mopac (1). The flyovers are open from I-35 to 71 and you may miss some of the traffic. Then you would come in from the west side.

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

You will have no trouble if you arrive at least 3 hours before kickoff. You can wander the campus, check out the Co-op, and stroll through the many tailgate parties...maybe head on over to Scholz's Biergarten. Enjoy the game.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

Jodi, that's a good idea--we will do that. His condo is on Rio Grande and I often come up Mopac just to avoid 35.

Since the game is at 11, Gehrig, that would mean arriving at 8am. We were planning on leaving about then. Would we really need to arrive that early?

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,306 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

Leaving San Antonio at 8:00 for an 11:00 game will get you into the game before kick-off I suspect. The band usually enters about 30-40 minutes prior to game time. You will run into some real traffic as things start to back up around 2 hours before kickoff. Because of the early start you may be OK as there will be a few less partying in the A.M. Because you are parking in West Campus I would follow Jodi's advice. I would leave no later than 8:00!

7. Re: Tickets to first UT game--please help with questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2013, 10:16