We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting family in Johnson City...

Sterling, CT
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting family in Johnson City...

My boyfriend and I are coming down the second weekend of April to help my Aunt with her business and we booked a two extra days to check out Austin and maybe San Anotio... I love hiking, he loves racing and we both love country music, good food, and most outdoor activities.

He will be on his own while I work during the days Fri, Sat, and Sun and we have the evenings as well as all day Mon and Tues to spend together. We have access to a car. I know some of the loacal spots from my Aunt however she has some different interests than us.

I don't know if this will help, but I'm 30 and he's 43 so we are looking to see and do stuff that will be more grown up than the childrens museum and a little faster paced than just shopping... not that we won't do those on our own of course. ;)

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Hardcore
Bike Tours
Congress Avenue Kayaks
Equipment Hire, Kayaking & Canoeing, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Auditorium Shores
Other Outdoor Activities
Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting family in Johnson City...

That's a good time to take a drive into the Hill Country. Wildflowers will be blooming and the weather should be good. Drive to Fredericksburg stopping at the Becker Vineyard near Stonewall on the way. LBJ Ranch is along there as well. You could go on to SA or return to Austin.

Mentioned in this post
OD
Grand Bend, Ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting family in Johnson City...

We just returned from a week in the area of Fredericksburg Texas. It is lovely there right now. Our recommendations: Der Lindenbaum restaurant has great authentic German food - the owner is from Luxenbourg. We did some wine tasting - our favourite was Messina Hof ( a new place) they have delicious bubbly among other good wines. The outdoor patio at Beckers is nice - you can sit outside doing your tasting there, and they had a country music singer performing the afternoon we were there..

Do visit a state park if you have time, & do some hiking. The wildflowers are just budding now, and will be out when you are there and the parks are not crowded.

Texas is soooo dog friendly, we couldn't believe it. We travelled with our 10 month old Westie pup. I was amazed that she was welcomed everywhere, in stores, on restaurant and winery patios, even on the park trails. Of course, dogs must be leashed and you must pick up after them, but we always do that anyway.

We had a great time, and you will too.

Mentioned in this post
Der Lindenbaum Restaurant
Der Lindenbaum Restaurant
803 Reviews
Fredericksburg, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
196 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting family in Johnson City...

I just mentioned St. Edward's Trail for hiking in Austin in another post. Here's the link:

austinexplorer.com/Locations/…

I love SoCo (South Congress) for shopping/people watching/trailer food. It's quintessential Austin!

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
South Congress Hotel
South Congress Hotel
330 Reviews
Austin, TX
Austin
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting family in Johnson City...

Not that there's anything wrong with leaving Austin for Frederickburg, I think there is plenty in Austin to keep you occupied and minimize travel hassle. Music is a huge deal in Austin - pop, alternative, country, folk - you name it. There are plenty of clubs/bars along 6th street as well as Congress that offers lots of music. The Austin Chronicle is a good resource for music info. Music venues in particular that you should look into: The Broken Spoke, The Continental Club, Antone's, ACL Live and The Mohawk.

Museums - the Bob Bullock Texas History museum is massive - you could spend a day there. There's also an IMAX Theater inside the Bullock, The Harry Ransom Center has great exhibits and The LBJ Presidential Library is good for at least a half day.

There's a Segway tour that operates in downtown and Austin Duck tours are great ways to see things around downtown.

Post questions here if you have specific things you're interested in.

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
The Broken Spoke
The Broken Spoke
520 Reviews
Austin, TX
Continental Club
Continental Club
222 Reviews
Austin, TX
Antone's
Antone's
62 Reviews
Austin, TX
Texas
Texas
United States
Harry Ransom Center
Harry Ransom Center
207 Reviews
Austin, TX
LBJ Presidential Library
LBJ Presidential Library
2,673 Reviews
Austin, TX
5. Re: Visiting family in Johnson City...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 February 2014, 05:16