We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

Hi,

I'm hoping to visit Austin as well as San Antonio and Houston, mid Sept, 22yr old female traveller, flying out of Houston, coming from Galveston. I have a week to visit these cities, so hoping to fit in all three.

I'll have no car relying on Public transport. I realise these are all car cities. I will use megabus to get between the cities. Does anyone have any experience with them? Best to take morning buses or evening?

Would I be able to get a downtown hotel for $100 a night plus tax? Or ideally $60 a night, I could use priceline/hotwire closer to time.

Any particular order you'd visit the cities in? I have 7 nights, starting in Houston on Day 1 and need to finish in Houston staying my 7th night in the city, ready for my flight the next day.

Also is it still football season in September? If not, what sport is?

Any other opinions or though, for a young traveller in the city....

Thanks

Edited: 25 April 2013, 23:49
djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
787 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

Although I haven't used the megabus, my niece has --- and it's an inexpensive way to get around Texas. The stop in Austin in close to UT, so it's mainly college students. I did find these reviews for it on yelp.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/megabus-austin

You may need transportation to get from UT to lodging and you are going to be extremely challenged finding lodging downtown for those rates. I just read about Firehouse Hostel in the heart of downtown, but I'm having a very hard time finding out their rates for dorm style rooms, maybe an email would work? http://www.firehousehostel.com/

Football season is just starting up in September. It looks like UT has home games 9/14 and 9/21.

For suggestions, what do you like to do when you go to a city?

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

Thanks for the reply. Things I like to do is walking tours, try local food, live music and see what makes Austin, Austin.

The why I have got it planned right now, means ill be in town on a weekday, so hopefully avoiding any increased hotels prices for the games.

Re: getting from the Megabus drop off to my hotel... Can u just flag a taxi off the street?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

I took a look at the Firehouse Hostel website and while it's a bit difficult to navigate, I was able to see the types of rooms and rates and even go through booking. However, it says it's opening "this Fall", so you may want to email them to make sure they are going to be open when you plan to be here. A place like that is going to be in a perfect location for you and is going to be the only thing I can think of within your budget. Austin hotels always run on the high side, with rooms almost always over $100 per night. Austin Motel on South Congress, anohter great location, sometimes has room for around $80 a night. They only book three months in advance and you have to call.

The Megabus stop in Austin is near UT and is in a good location for catching a city bus to get downtown. You will probably not see any taxis in that area. Generally, in Austin, taxis aren't flagged down, but ratehr picked up at a hotel or called.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,636 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

accomodation

look into couchsurfing.com

or

airbnb.com

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

I had a look at the hostel it looks good...seems to be in a soft opening phase at the moment.

I've been looking at airbnb, and there are some nice private rooms/houses in 'downtown east', is this a safe area? good public transport links to downtown? I don't know the exact locations of the bnb's, they look about 2 miles east of downtown, past the state cemetery

I presume I could easily and cheaply get a taxi back on an evening.

austin
Level Contributor
98 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

You could also do car2go to get around once you are in the city. There are plenty around if you stay downtown.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

I would not recommend a place east of the state cemetery. East Austin is rapidly gentrifying, but most of the development is closer to I35. There are lots of bars and restaurants in the several blocks east of I35, but I wouldn't stay any further east than that. It's not that the neighborhood is especially dangerous, just not nice. Also, with inadequate public transportation, you will be spending quite a bit on taxis. I think the hostel would be the best option. If you want to go the airbnb route, try to find something near South Congress.

Car2go is a great service that makes it easy to rent cars for short periods of time, but I'm pretty sure you need a U.S. driver's license to use it.

San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,425 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

In SA the couchsurfing community is very active. There is usually some group doing something every weekend. In addition, many members work odd hours and are up for doing something during the day. I would join the community now, and introduce yourself. Build some on-line acquaintances now and see what develops for you trip.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,672 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

MrTed gave you good advice. I do not recommend any lodging east of I-35 and especially do not recommend it for a single female traveler. As stated. the whole east side of Austin is rapidly gentrifying but it isn't there yet. Better to be overly cautious.

Taxis are readily available in the immediate downtown area. You'll need to call for a pick up for other locations.

Welcome to Austin!

Galveston, Texas
Level Contributor
2,129 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Female Solo Traveller, 2 nights

OK thanks for the advice guys, this is the place is was looking at in Downtown East https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/72646

I'll checkout Congress South.

I do have a Couchsurfing account, but never used it. It seems to be more of last minute arrangements, if I messaged someone today about mid Sept, it would be no straight away. And I like to have everything prearranged. Not sure how it would work for me.