We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to see Longhorn Cattle

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
1 post
Save Topic
Where to see Longhorn Cattle

Going to be coming there for a conference. Is there a place around Austin to see Longhorn Cattle? Nothing up close and personal needed just a chance to see a herd.

Thanks for the help.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

I drive between Austin and west Texas a lot and it's pretty rare to see longhorn grazing within sight of the road, and even then, it will just be a dozen or so, not a large herd.

I know that doesn't really answer your question. Hopefully someone can recommend a ranch close to Austin that is open to the public.

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,135 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

The best place is over by the FastPark parking lot by the airport. I know it is a funny place, but there are always a few there. When you go to leave the airport towards Austin, stay on the frontage Rd instead of getting on 71,take the first right towards FastPark and just to the right of the parking place there is a cul-de-sac and a big field, there are usually several longhorns there. Here is the address: 2300 Spirit of Texas Drive

Del Valle, TX 78617

Quick stop and easy access.

Edited: 08 June 2013, 15:53
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

Tks, all. Jodi, here is video about the Fast Track longhorns:

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

I have 3 more areas, but they are Round Rock, Cedar Park and Georgetown which are much further away from downtown and the airport. If you need them, just let me know and I'll post them.

Edited: 09 June 2013, 03:53
Georgetown, Texas
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

I still think of the longhorns in Round Rock off of I-35 by the Westinghouse building but I think there are only two of them.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

Come on up to Tyler. A couple of weeks ago we stopped on the side of the road between Tyler and Edom to photograph a herd of longhorns right at the fence.

Leander, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

Can you provide the Georgetown, Cedar Park and/or Round Rock locations? We live in Leander and have family coming in soon and they'd like to see some longhorns. Thanks!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,077 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

In Round Rock take the Westinghouse exit and on the West side feeder of IH35 there are one or two in a pasture in front of the Westinghouse bldg.

Here are the rest:

city-data.com/forum/austin/1881539-where-som…

If you really want to get a few feet away for photos then drive out to Hyatt Lost Pines Resort east of our airport and pretend you are a guest and get photo op with their two resident longhorns:

flickr.com/photos/…

This time of the year the resort is loaded with kids and they bring the two out several times a day and pasture them nearby.

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

Please post the locations near Austin where we can see the longhorns. The ones by Westinghouse are not always where you can see them

Buda, Texas
Level Contributor
59 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

If you are south, there are always 6-10 Longhorns in Buda at the Jardin's facility on Main St. just before you get to the railroad tracks. You can get within 30 - 50 yards from them usually.

10. Re: Where to see Longhorn Cattle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2014, 05:16