We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

victorian homes and gardens

2 posts
Save Topic
victorian homes and gardens

My boyfriend and I enjoy visiting historical homes built in the late 1800's. I see the Bremond Block but wondering if there are any homes available to tour.

I also enjoy visiting botanical/japanese style gardens. Any recommendations for a place for a peaceful morning stroll?

Austin Detours
Sightseeing Tours
Segway Nation
Sightseeing Tours, Segway Tours
Bike and Brew ATX
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Double Decker Austin Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: victorian homes and gardens

According to www.austintexas.org there is a guided tour on Saturdays; must reserve 48 hours in advance. Check the website for more info.

Not a botanical garden per se, but check out the Umlauf Sculpture Garden.

Edited: 21 June 2013, 19:01
Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: victorian homes and gardens

Unless its changed recently the tour of the Bremond Block only does the exterior of the homes. Check with the visitor center at 512-478-0098 to verify that.

Zilker Park has a Japanese style botanical garden. Not large but very pleasant.. So close that its easy to do both is the Umlauf Sculture Garden. Umlauf was a professor at UT and his sculptures are placed among the shade trees. Umlauf had Farrah Fawcett among his students.

Welcome to Austin!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
17 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: victorian homes and gardens

If you are near the University of Texas campus, you might consider visiting the Littlefield House (built in 1893, on the west side of the campus).

I don't see where they offer tours, though you might still be interested to view the outside architecture.

utexas.edu/features/…littlefield.html

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlefield_House

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,215 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: victorian homes and gardens

You may also enjoy the Elizabeth Ney Museum, interesting studio and combined with lunch at Hyde Park Bar and Grill, worth the short trip north of campus. Not exactly Victorian, but unique architecture.

austintexas.gov/department/elisabet-ney-muse…

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: victorian homes and gardens

Sun, June 30, 9am – 10am

Where

South entrance of the Capitol (map)

Description

All events are subject to change. Please confirm event details before heading out:

austintexas.org/visitors/plan_your_trip/hist…

The South entrance of the Capitol building serves as the departure point for two free guided-walking tours of downtown that help history buffs explore Austin's past.

The 10-block Congress Avenue and nine-block Sixth Street (Pecan Street) National Register Districts interweave modern skyscrapers with 19th century buildings such as the Old Bakery (1876), Millett Opera House (1878), Driskill Hotel (1886), Walter Tips Building (1876) and Robinson-Rosner Building (1856). Historic structures such as St. Mary's Cathedral (1874) and St. David's Church (1854) reflect Old World architecture. The Historic Congress Avenue & Sixth Street tour times are 9 a.m. Tuesday, Thursday-Saturday annd 11 a.m. on Sunday and require a reservation 48 hours in advance.

For a peek into the lives of Victorian-era high society, take a stroll through the Bremond Block Historic District, a collection of homes belonging to members of the John Bremond, Sr. family. Walking Tours take place at 11 a.m. Saturdays and require a 48 hour advance reservation.

Other self-guided tours include the Texas State Cemetery, the resting place of many Texas heroes, and the West Austin area. If you would like to see historic Austin at your own pace, stop by the Austin Visitor Center to pick up a brochure.

Download Congress Avenue/East 6th St. Walking Tour Brochure

For Tour Information contact the Austin Visitor Center:

866-GO-AUSTIN

Groups numbering more than 10 persons, or desiring special arrangements, can be accommodated, subject to guide availability, on a fee basis. Please call the Austin Visitor Center, 512-478-0098. We can create a walking tour custom-tailored for your group's interests and schedule.

Free Guided Walking Tours of Historic Austin

Available year-round Tuesdays and Thursdays through Sundays (except Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day and Easter Sunday, weather permitting.

RESERVATIONS REQUIRED

(If you need to make or cancel a reservation, please contact the Austin Visitor Center at 512-478-0098 or 866-GO-AUSTIN as far in advance as possible (preferably a 48-hour notice.)

Bremond Block

Saturday: 11am-- 90 minutes

Congress Avenue & E. Sixth Street

Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday: 9am

Sunday, 11am-- 90 minutes

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
802 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: victorian homes and gardens

There is an app called "City Walks", the one for Austin contains several walks, one of which is the "N-W Downtown Architecture" a "lite" version of the app is free and it gives descriptions of each of the locations noted. http://www.gpsmycity.com/ is the developer or you could probably search Austin City Walks.

The Japanese garden at the Zilker garden is really very nice and has a nice history to it. www.zilkergarden.org/gardens/oriental.html

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: victorian homes and gardens

Okay so we just came up for a super fun quick trip. Arrived Thursday evening and left Saturday afternoon. Unfortunately the sniffling heat played a big part in changing up some of our plans.

Thursday:Arrive in town around 6pm. Unfortunately we were both a bit on the tired side. Since we were staying on S. 1st street I suggested we keep it low key and close to home, our game plan was to hit up Zilker park early next morning. We hit up a Wiggys for a few adult beverages and Torchy's Taco's ( highly recommend the crossroads taco ) and enjoyed our drinks and tacos back in the hotel room.

Friday morning comes around, we venture over to Zilker park for a stroll and some pictures. Afterwards we went to The Driskill Hotel for a late breakfast/brunch and highly enjoyed it. After breakfast I walked over to the visitor center and got a map. I also signed up for a walking tour of The Bremond Block. From there we headed to the SoCo area and both bought a few antique finds. I wanted to visit The Continental Club but we needed to get back and spruced up for Friday evening. I have never taken a cab before, but decided since the show we were attending was on 6th street and alcohol was going to be consumed a cab may be a great idea. I downloaded the hail a cab app on my phone and scheduled an 8:30 pickup. Our taxi arrived promptly at 8:30 and the fair was around 6.50. I happened to ask the driver about pick up, since they close 6th street down. His suggestion was to get picked up at 5th and Trinity, which worked perfectly. Our destination was The Gibson Lounge at Maggie Mae's for a burlesque show. For $25 each we got VIP seating, a plush comfy chair and a great view. We highly enjoyed ourselves. Following the cab drivers tip I used the apo to schedule pick up and getting home was a stress free breeze for about $6.50.

Saturday morning we had a walking tour scheduled for 11 am at the Capitol. We went down early and walked the grounds of the Capitol. There is lots of nice cool air inside, and we were ever so thankful . lol

We met our guide and it turned out we were the only two who signed up, so we have a private tour in a way. I lloved the knowledge and history our tour guide shared with us, we had a nice time and I would highly recommend taking the guided walking tour of The Bremond Block. Lastly I needed gasoline and cold beverages so we found a 7-Eleven. Slushee you are a lifesaver!

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: victorian homes and gardens

I'm glad you had a good time. Great trip report, too.

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,687 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: victorian homes and gardens

Glad your visit went well. Thanks for including the details in your trip report.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,770 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: victorian homes and gardens

Thanks for the trip report! We really appreciate feedback and I'm so glad you enjoyed Patsy's walking tour of the Bremond Block! She's very knowledgeable and it's a shame you had to be here during our ugllier than usual heat wave!

Please return soon!