We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating Out

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Eating Out

I've just read another thread on top places to eat in Austin and I dind't want to hijack it with daft questions, so I'll have my own thread for daft questions instead!

Can someone please explain to me how the BBQ and Whole Food places mentioned in the other thread work? Not sure if they are like anything in the UK!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating Out

Whole Foods is a grocery store. A very large, impressive store with all sorts of gourmet and organic goodies, but a grocery store nonetheless. I know there are at least a few in the UK. If you are talking about the BBQ mentioned at Whole Foods, it's just a counter in the store where you walk up and order a sandwich or plate of food and then you can sit at tables in the store and eat it and drink a beer or have an iced tea.

Some other BBQ places mentioned are restaurants and they work like restaurants - you go in, sit down, look at a menu, order from wait staff, and are served. Others are counter service, similar to what I described above.

Do you have a more specific question about where to eat?

Edited: 08 August 2013, 18:37
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating Out

I just went back and reread the thread. If you are talking about Georgetowngal's description of Whole Foods and grabbing a tray to fill up, she's talking about a large area of the store simply called "Prepared Foods". It's basically several long salad bar type set ups with salads and other hot and cold entrees. You prepare your own containers of food and then pay at the cashier station by the weight of food you have. A rotating mix of great ethnic foods is offered, in addition to more traditional American fare. This part of the store is being redesigned soon, so it may be different by the time of your visit.

Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,917 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating Out

It may just be a grocery store, but definitely take a walk through Whole Foods as it is quite impressive.

As to BBQ, Central Texas (the Austin region) is well respected for the BBQ they produce, noted as the BBQ Capital of Texas - brisket, sausage, ribs. I'd advise enjoying the goodness at one of the area's many smokehouses which devote themselves exclusively to BBQ perfections. I personally enjoy Smitty's, a short drive southeast, but there are other places within Austin proper. Hopefully, someone will point you to a few. (Franklins is the latest to claim to King of the BBQ Hill prestige, but you have to be in line (queue up) during the early morning hours to partake in the limited day's production. I imagine you probably will have better activities to occupy your time!)

Anyway, don't be surprised if you aren't served BBQ Sauce. Many smokehouses consider it an insult as they are that confident with their BBQ standing on its own. Additionally, there are several establishments that serve the BBQ on butcher paper (no plates) and several where eating utensils are absent, ie, you're expected to eat using the utensils God gave you.... your fingers. Wherever you end up, end up somewhere as I'm sure you will find it an enjoyably food experience.

texasmonthly.com/story/sxsw-our-guide-centra…

Edited: 08 August 2013, 20:07
Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating Out

Thanks both, that is really useful. I have a lot of terminology to get used to! Sounds like I need to try both whole foods and a BBQ place. The Whole Foods counter sounds like something I would enjoy.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,955 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating Out

the world headguarters is in Austin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJRQyxvmA5M

Bagshot, United...
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,313 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating Out

Made it to Whole Foods last nigth - what a great place. I wish we had something like that near us at home.

Off to the Domain centre this afternoon I thinkfor a bit of retail therapy.

7. Re: Eating Out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2014, 05:16