We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best places to visit in Texas

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Topic
best places to visit in Texas

We're planning a 10-day trip to Texas Sept. 23-Oct. 3. We've never been to Texas but have read how authentic and original HIll Country is and wondered if you would recommend that as the place to go. Though we're in our 60s, we're in great shape and love to hike. Since we've never been to Texas, we're anxious to see it and experience interesting and unusual attractions. We're not into shopping. We're flying in from the East Coast and plan to rent a car. Any suggestions on where to fly into, and places to see would be greatly appreciated. We usually stay in b&bs or we've been very successful with airbnb. Our budget is moderate. Thank you for any advice you could give.

J&S

Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
5,822 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best places to visit in Texas

I would suggest the Austin, San Antonio, Fredericksburg triangle. You could use any city as a base. All have their own unique vibes, F'burg being the most touristy and packed with B&B's. I would consider staying along the Riverwalk in San Antonio for a few days and take in the Spanish and German culture and then head out to the Hill Country. You could finish in Austin.

Some of the best flight deals seem to be with JetBlue flying into Austin but IAH is just a 3 hour drive to Austin or San Antonio.

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best places to visit in Texas

Thank you so much for responding and for your great suggestions!

Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best places to visit in Texas

Judy--

I agree with Gehrig that the triangle is a great place to get your orientation. Do your research on hotels in the Riverwalk area, though, as they may be a little higher-priced that you indicated your budget will allow. I am not sure, but believe the King William district may have some B&B's available fairly near the Riverwalk area, so you might want to check into those. Remember, it can still be quite warm here in southern Texas in late September-early October, so bring shorts. (Of course, we occasionally get an early cool break about that time, too...)

If you want to try some great Texas BBQ, take a trip to Lockhart, TX, home to three famous eateries: Kreutz Market, Smitty's and Black's BBQ--Texas style beef brisket, ribs and sausage (with occasional smoked turkey and/or chicken) at its best (you won't usually find pulled pork down here)!

San Antonio has some of the best Tex-Mex food you'll find anywhere, and Austin has probably the best food-truck cuisine of any city in the country. Austin also has a great live music scene. While the University of Texas doesn't have a home football game while you're going to be there, hotel or B&B reservations are definitely recommended for all cities.

You guys...forgive me, you're from Philly...yiz have a great time, and y'all come back now, y'hear?

Edited: 01 September 2013, 21:17
Houston
Destination Expert
for Houston
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
363 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best places to visit in Texas

Sorry...one thing I forgot to mention is on the airfares. I'd suggest an airfare search site such as kayak.com or whichever one you like (orbitz, etc.), but Southwest Airlines flies into/out of Philadelphia, and it's pretty hard to beat them (no charges for bags, e.g.), but they don't show up on the aforementioned search engines.

JetBlue is fairly cheap.

If you want to fly to Houston, United can often be competitive with the above two, and, as Gehrig pointed out, it's about a 2.75 hour drive to Austin, or a 3-hr drive to San Antonio.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best places to visit in Texas

www.texashighways.com for articles/events by region

www.traveltex.com you have time to order the tourism catalog

Philadelphia...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: best places to visit in Texas

Gene,

Thank you so much for your terrific suggestions. Will definitely look into them, especially where to eat (important to us!) and the airfare information.

Judy

Austin, TX
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
2,186 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best places to visit in Texas

You may want to spend a day or two in Fredericksburg, nice small German town with some really nice B&Bs. From there it is an easy trip to Enchanted Rock for some hiking - tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/enchanted-rock

And there are wineries in the area that can be enjoyed - http://www.wineroad290.com/

Just a suggestion for something between Austin and San Antonio.

Belton, Texas
Level Contributor
3 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best places to visit in Texas

Frederucksburg is worth it. Not sure if you are into history but they have the Museum of the Pacific. Johnson City ( on the way in/out) has Lyndon Johnsons childhood home and his estate ( called the White House of the West). Luchenback (of song fame) is also right off this highway and the General Store/post office makes for a fun one hour stop off.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
137 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best places to visit in Texas

Gehrig, pretty much hit the nail on the head, I'd definitely visit the Fort Worth Stockyards, that'll be memorable for sure, along with the Fort Worth Zoo, it's been Top 10 in the World forever, also the San Antonio Riverwalk and that surround area as well, every part of Texas is full of Cultural Districts unlike any other and I've traveled the World. Music is Austin is pretty obvious, however please don't understate the drive times, Texas is massive and going to most major cities will take between 3-6 hours depending on speeds. Also on the food topic, be careful where you eat, you won't ever go back home, we love our steaks big and our chicken fried. HOWEVER you must stop at a Whataburger, nothings more Texan than Whataburger. Thanks hope this helps

Edited: 07 September 2013, 21:43
Victoria, TX
Level Contributor
4 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best places to visit in Texas

If you're interested in a small town get away with some free historical Czech heritage, check out the painted churches in Fayette and Lavaca county, and the wonderful b&b in Flatonia, located 1 hour south of Austin, 1/2 way between Houston and San Antonio on I-10. The b&b owner also has cottages on her cattle ranch just outside of town.

Get answers to your questions about Austin
Recent Conversations