We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

2 posts
Save Topic
Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

Was looking for some advice on traveling to Austin, Texas on bars/restaurants/activities. I've read some other forums, but most were pretty old. We will be a group of 10 or 11 guys for a bachelor party weekend get away. We range from mid 20's to low 30's in age. We are only coming in for a weekend mid July next year. We are not from the area or state.

Not looking to spend a ton of money, but want to throw the groom-to-be a good time.

Was thinking we would stay downtown, near 6th street somewhere. Currently looking in to a vacation rental in the vicinity, unless anyone knows of a really cheap hotel in that area. Also contemplating renting a boat/party barge and going out on lake travis for the day on Saturday. As far as evening activities, i assume bar hop on Friday, repeat on Saturday, while throwing in a possible gentlemen's club stop the last night there. As far as food goes, the groom likes BBQ and Mexican. As far as bar scene... probably a mix. We will probably want to stop by both "club" type bars and more chill ones that might have bar games (shuffle board, darts, etc.)

Any and all suggestions welcome. Is lake travis a good idea? Boat rental company suggestions? Restaurant suggestions? Bar Suggestions?

*Forgot to mention live music at the bar is always a plus. Does live music always mean cover charge in Austin?

Edited: 17 December 2013, 23:34
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,510 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

Start by checking out www.austinchronicle.com/

Some live music is no cover, particularly if it's during the day or on a weeknight.

Check out Rainey street area for bars. I think you'll find more chill ones there. Iron Cactus has a nice rooftop deck on 6th Street.

Vacation Rental will be the best deal - book as soon as you can.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

The Firehouse Hostel might be something for you to check out. Their location is on Brazos, right off 6th. I've gotten positive feedback on it. It has a great location for everything downtown, and I think they have a variety of housing options from dorm to private room.

There is a Dave and Buster's on Research Blvd for games., ----- you'd need a car. and a designated driver.

Lake Travis party boat, check the ads in the Austin Chronicle.

Think about doing one of the Segway tours, or a zip line.during the day.

You said you're not from this area or state but I'm seeing someone give a Hook 'em Horns sign in your profile pic. A Longhorn grad, perhaps?

Welcome to Austin!

Austin
Level Contributor
323 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

Check this recent thread below, it has some info from several people. As far as pool tables/darts and things of that nature, Buffalo Billiards on 6th will work for you. Go with a party boat on Lake Austin vs. Lake Travis as the water levels in July are usually pretty low and Lake Travis is way further outside of downtown. Be careful when looking at vacation rentals, there are some scam ones even in Austin, which has way fewer than a lot of cities. Any property that sounds too good to be true (the house is on 6th street...sleeps 15...has a pool...and is $150 a night) and is fine with sleeping 10 guys for a bachelor party, probably is too good to be true. Definitely call the person listing the property as you can normally get a sense of the legitimacy after speaking with the contact. I think Yankee's suggestion of Firehouse hostel might be a good fit for you with that many guys as well. The rooms are actually pretty decent and it is right off of 6th street and Brazos, which is as good of a location as you can get for what you are looking to do. Also, they have live music on the weekends and there isn't a cover in their lounge. With hotels you are going to run into the issue of needing several rooms to sleep that many guys. For BBQ, there are too many options to list them all. A lot of people will tell you Franklins is the best, but be prepared to wait in line for 2 - 3 hours and for them to run out of things before you get in. I personally prefer either La Barbeque which I find equally good with shorter waits (although you will still have to wait), or Freedmans Bar which is a newer spot in West Campus (you would have to cab it there, but their meats are awesome and they do the whole craft cocktail thing as well.) For Mexican, if you want to go upscale, you can do La Condesa, Midrange, but still nice, Papi Tinos on East 6th has really good Enchiladas and great margaritas on the rocks(they don't serve any frozen).One the cheaper end, El Chupacabre has various tex-mex dishes and strong frozen cocktails, they also server pitchers of frozen margaritas. I'm not into strip clubs, but have been to a few for business related meetings and personally I think the Yellow Rose has the best looking women and the nicest/cleanest club. There is one called Expose that would be closer as it's on South Congress, but it is pretty small and worn out and there is no comparison when it comes to the women. If you end up going to any of them, call them and see if they will send a free ride to come pick you up. If you tell them it's for a bachelor party, they should accommodate as they know you are going to spend some money. The other nicer one is Palazio, but I can't speak to that one.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g30196-i229-k63535…

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

Thanks for all of the information!

The Hostel pricing is pretty good if the group doesn't mind that set up. They have a room for 12 people that we could rent out.

Regarding the Lake travis vs. lake Austin.... Are there places that people gather on lake Austin? The group will probably want to tie up with others to drink on the lake. I know of places on Travis, but haven't heard of any on Austin.

Will note all restaurant recommendations.

Not a hook 'em horns sign.... just an avid rock concert attendee

Thanks again all

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
16,525 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

There is the early-late show of Esthers Follies/comdey club...book a reservation and advise the owners of the groom to be...i.e. involuntary group participation

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g30196-d58…

Edited: 31 December 2013, 09:57
Austin
Level Contributor
323 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

As far as Lake Austin, yes there are some spots where people gather and drink on Lake Austin as well and the boat operators will know where to take you for what you are looking for. As far as the tie off aspect, you will not be able to do that specifically with either location you choose, as the party boat operators will not allow it. They can get you in close to the others at their discretion, but the boats are larger pontoons and are therefore harder to maneuver in and out of coves.

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
2,217 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

On Lake Travis, Devil's Cove is a popular party spot. It gets crazy packed on holiday weekends.

Assuming there is water in the lake.

Buffalo Billiards is a great place, but can get rough at times. Use common sense and be cool.

8. Re: Guys Weekend in Austin Texas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2015, 07:18