We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Austin

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Topic
Day trip to Austin

I am planning a day trip to Austin next Thursday. Thinking we will arrive around 9:30 and leave about 4ish. It will be me, my husband and 7 yr old. None of us have ever been. What are the must sees or must dos while we r there?

djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
787 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Austin

Would you be interested in the State Capitol? If you've never been to Austin, and you have a 7 year old, I'd recommend this first. There's parking at the visitor center garage.

If the weather is nice, you should do something active in the afternoon. You could have lunch at Chuy's or Shady Grove, then go to Zilker Park and rent canoes. Then could take the little train if your child is interested. The Zilker gardens is also in the area, as is the Nature Center.

Before you leave town, you should stop off at Amy's Ice Cream for a treat.

New Braunfels, Texas
Level Contributor
280 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Austin

By next Thursday, do you mean the 13th or the 20th? Keep in mind that SXSW is on in Austin thru the 16th and it is very CROWDED right now....

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Austin

Bob Bullock museum..IMAX film about Texas

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Austin

The 20th.

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,674 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Austin

any chance you are taking hwy 71 into Austin, stop at Weikels bakery in La Grange

www.weikels.com

6. Re: Day trip to Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 17:06
djr
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
787 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Austin

To follow-up on the Tejashombre, you could taste-test kolaches on your way to Austin, another option is Hruskas in Ellinger.

http://www.hruskas-bakery.com/

Per Steven B, the Blanton is a great art museum, but if you're coming from Houston, Houston has better -- unless you just really enjoy going to art museums.

The Bob Bullock is a great option, it's very audio-visual history. If it's cold or rainy, the Bob Bullock is a great option. Another option is the LBJ Presidential Museum. But if it's a nice day, I recommend getting outside to enjoy Austin.

Houston, Texas
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Austin

Thanks. Lots of great ideas

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Austin

One more that will especially please the little one. The University of Texas has a turtle pond on the campus--very interesting. You could combine that with your visit to the Bob Bullock museum. I agree--while the Blanton is nice, the Bob Bullock would be a better choice for a family visit. Have a look at the Austin Nature and Science Center in Zilker Park. You could rent a canoe for an hour or so and explore Lady Bird Lake (aka Town Lake) from Capital Cruisers at the Hyatt Regency Boat Dock.

10. Re: Day trip to Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 March 2015, 04:27