We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4th of July in Austin

Which Austin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
424 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
4th of July in Austin

Hi,

My husband and another couple are going to Austin 7/3-7/6 for 4th of July weekend. We have never been there. A friend of ours just moved to Round Rock. We are 90% sure we are going to stay at their house for the trip and rent a car.

Maps shows Round Rock to be about 20 mins from Downtown. Is it ok to stay in Round Rock and travel to 6th street and see the sights or is it a headache?

Also the flight we are looking at leaves Los Angeles at 8pm meaning we don't get to Austin til 1am, are there any 24 hour rental car services? Alamo and Hertz close at midnight.

Besides 6th street, what parts of Austin are good for first time visitors? We are in our late 20s and early 30s and even considering moving if we like it enough.

Thanks in advance!

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock, Prague
Level Contributor
15,451 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4th of July in Austin

for actual July 4th, I'd do the festivities/fireworks in Round Rock

Austin has a major July 4th party /irework display which I will not do again....the mass exodus after the event was not my cup of tea....I was very uncomfortable with the crowds--seemed dangerous if something were too happen or some emergency if people needed to leave the area quickly. Sorry-just my experience-way too many people.

www.texashighways.com

closer to our visit, check the calendar of events for Round Rock or in the area.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 15:49
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4th of July in Austin

Round Rock is an easy 20 - 25 minute drive from downtown on most weekends, especially holiday weekends. (Weekday commutes are a pain though.) However, if you are planning to drink when you go out to enjoy downtown, then it's a definite no. Downtown parking is a hassle, but not as bad as Los Angeles, and a cab would be expensive. If you really want to experience Austin, the best bet for first time visitors is to actually stay downtown so you can walk to bars, restaurants, and music venues.

As for areas to visit, 6th Street attracts primarily a college-aged crowd. The Warehouse District/2nd Street skews a little older. South Congress is full of interesting local shops and good restaurants.

On the rental car question, you should call the company you are considering renting from to see if they stay open for the last flights. Some will, especially if they know they will have renters. 1am is very late though. Most flights are through ABIA before midnight.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
424 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4th of July in Austin

Awesome thank you both so much! My husband likes craft beer and I don't really drink so I don't think we will need a cab. I will call the car companies thanks for all the great advice

4. Re: 4th of July in Austin

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2015, 07:15