My wife and I will be in Austin in July for 2 days (most likely Sat/Sun), checking it out for a possible move from San Francisco Bay Area. I am enthusiastic about it, but she is more skeptical. I think she holds undeserved stereotypes, I hear things like "Yeah, it's probably an ok place to live... compared to the rest of Texas! but it is still Texas" :) She is also concerned about the climate (heat + humidity).
So - please help us see Austin as a world-class city... whatever that means :)
We will be driving out from Houston and have roughly 36 hours in Austin. FYI we have two elementary-age children who will not be coming on this trip.
Some ideas I've had so far:
- find an trendy urban neighborhood with good restaurant options
- find a good jazz venue/act
- find listings for art galleries, museums, etc, and check some out
- find listings/info for kid-friendly activities, maybe even check some out if possible without actual children
- find a swimming beach at a nearby lake; other ways to escape the heat besides turning up the AC?
- check out some residential neighborhoods; my work would be in the northern part of town, Riata Trace Parkway
All suggestions are very much appreciated!