We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Checking out Austin before possible move

San Francisco...
1 post
Save Topic
Checking out Austin before possible move

Hi all,

My wife and I will be in Austin in July for 2 days (most likely Sat/Sun), checking it out for a possible move from San Francisco Bay Area. I am enthusiastic about it, but she is more skeptical. I think she holds undeserved stereotypes, I hear things like "Yeah, it's probably an ok place to live... compared to the rest of Texas! but it is still Texas" :) She is also concerned about the climate (heat + humidity).

So - please help us see Austin as a world-class city... whatever that means :)

We will be driving out from Houston and have roughly 36 hours in Austin. FYI we have two elementary-age children who will not be coming on this trip.

Some ideas I've had so far:

- find an trendy urban neighborhood with good restaurant options

- find a good jazz venue/act

- find listings for art galleries, museums, etc, and check some out

- find listings/info for kid-friendly activities, maybe even check some out if possible without actual children

- find a swimming beach at a nearby lake; other ways to escape the heat besides turning up the AC?

- check out some residential neighborhoods; my work would be in the northern part of town, Riata Trace Parkway

All suggestions are very much appreciated!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,804 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Checking out Austin before possible move

Max, if you don't know about City Data-Austin Forum I highly recommend it for your questions about an actual move to Austin. Here on TA, it's geared towards tourism. It's free to sign up for City Data-Austin.

http://www.city-data.com

Also, YouTube is loaded with great videos about Austin. Both moving here and sightseeing too.

Meanwhile, check out this detailed post about things to do within the downtown area of Austin. Park in one of the garages and enjoy the sights:

http://tinyurl.com/mljzkqk

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Checking out Austin before possible move

I would suggest touring the area where you will work. There is a toll road (the 1) at the north end of Austin, and this highway leads around to the east side. Depending on where you are driving, traffic can be heavy.

I would do research on where your job could be located, versus the suburbs of where to live and avoid the congestion of downtown. All that stuff is great for going out and visiting like a tourist, but you'd want to live far from it.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
4,473 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Checking out Austin before possible move

Actually, Loop 1/MoPac does not lead around to the East Side of Austin. It runs from SH 45 down the west side of Austin. The northern end of it is tolled right now, but late next year there will express toll lanes available all the way downtown. The toll road on the east side of town is SH 130. It is also connected to SH 45, but none of this really makes sense unless you are looking at a map.

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
424 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Checking out Austin before possible move

Bump as we are doing the same thing, down there from July 3-8th to enjoy but also house hunt.

To cool off we heard about a place called Hamilton Nature Reserve : https:/…hamilton-pool

Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for San Antonio, Lubbock
Level Contributor
17,113 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Checking out Austin before possible move

not sure but could be- heard near 1000 people move to Texas everyday!

Plantation Florida
Level Contributor
485 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Checking out Austin before possible move

Probably true considering they're moving from North East Blue States. But there are many rules and regulations in Austin to be aware of. Plus there's heavy traffic driving around and the toll road to watch out for.

Just pretend you are a tourist and see if you like it. The city is congested just like all others. You'll have to plot routes around the traffic jams, and avoid tolls. Want to get out of the heat? Head to Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels TX about 1.5 hours from Austin.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g56350-d10…

But you're not going there every day, it's a vacation trip. So we're back to Austin for the full time grind.

Austin
Level Contributor
323 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Checking out Austin before possible move

Riata Trace is pretty much getting out to the suburbs toward Cedar Park. Not really any particularly urban/trendy neighborhoods in that area North of 183. If you are looking for more urban/trendy, you are probably going to want to look more North Central (area between North Lamar and Burnet Rd.), look East of 35 (Mueller District and surrounding area down to airport and Manor rd. area), or South (neighborhoods off of Barton Springs area, or Travis Heights (area around South Congress). You probably won't want to go far South though if you are working North and having to commute every day. For jazz, check out The Elephant Room. It's small, dimly lit, and features a lot of great musicians. For kids stuff, check out the new location of The Thinkery located in the Mueller District. If you are going to do any serious looking at actual properties while you are there, I would recommend finding a good realtor to make the experience easier.

8. Re: Checking out Austin before possible move

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Austin
Recent Conversations