We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

Pampa, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

We will be spending one night in Austin. My husband is receiving an award at the Capitol from the Governor on 9/11. Where is the best CLOSEST hotel? Thanks

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

That's an easy question! The Driskill! It is also very expensive, but probably worth every penny for the accomodations, ambience, location, etc.

Pampa, Texas
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

Thank you. I was looking online and wondered about the DoubleTree @ Capitol or the Marriott Austin @ Capitol. What is your take on these two? The Marriott tells me that they are not far. But, on the map it looks a little far for walking, although much closer than the Driskill. The Driskill looks great for a romatic getaway, but my inlaws and my parents, and my husband's bosses are all going to be there . . . so go ahead and scratch the romance. We may have to do the Driskill another time. Price wise, all three are comparable.

Thanks again, off to chuch, I will read responses when I return and make reservations later tonight after your response(s).

Sheila

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

I think the two you mentioned are equal. Still another thought at 8th and Brazos is the Omni.

Taxis are easy in the downtown area so keep that in mind. That would open up the possibility of the Four Seasons on Town Lake. Another hotel I've heard lots of good reports on is the Hilton. You'd definitely want a taxi from there.

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

Howdy! yankeetransplant, the Stephen F. Austin is a full 130 yards closer to the Capitol than the Driskill! It's also a restored, antique hotel that had its heyday in the 1920s-30s (the Driskill dates from 1886, same as the Capitol). While it's not a bad walk, it's also simple to take either a dillo or a city bus up Congress from either 7th (SFA) or 6th (Driskill) to the Capitol. When you see how close you are, you can decide whether to hoof it or not.

The Doubletree is another good hotel within walking distance. But by the way, hope you can find a room. This is the weekend of the Texas -- Ohio State game, and those Buckeyes are taking up a lot of hotel rooms in Austin.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

Congratulations to you and your husband!.

The campus grounds are huge, it goes from 11th street all the way to 15th and from Colorado St. to Brazos St. The capitol building itself is pretty much smack dab in the middle of the grounds.

I personally think the Doubletree Suites on 15th street is closer to the capitol than the Omni or the Driskill, but you'll be approaching the capitol building from the north (back?) side - the 15th street entrance, not the downtown side.

I've stayed at the Doubletree: nice rooms, nice service, nice view of the capitol if you get the East-facing rooms. Also much closer walking distance (compared to the Driskill, Omni, or Marriot) if you are interested in going to the Museum of Texas History or the UT campus.

Austin, Texas
Destination Expert
for Austin
Level Contributor
1,698 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

Hey there, ttlms! You're right about the Intercontinental Stephen F. Austin location. I usually don't mention it because It's rare that someone ever raves about their stay there. Look at a guest from Sept 4, "Not bad but could have been better"

I think for the money the SFA better get its act together up a notch. That's why I've stopped recommending the Radisson quite as much. I hear their front desk staff has really slipped in service lately.

But hey, I don't stay there either so who knows!

Which brings us back to - if money isn't a problem, almost always the Driskill wins hands down on comfort, service, food, etc.

Austin
Level Contributor
447 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

You're probably right about the SFA; I've never stayed there (or the Driskill, for that matter). I just know the SFA has a nice restaurant and bar, although the bar is very proud of its booze.

Actually, I'd lean towards the Doubletree. I forgot that it's very close to the Capitol's back door. On the other hand, there's gonna be so many Buckeyes in town I hope there's some room at some of these hotels. Hopefully September 10 won't be so bad.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
24 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

I vote for the Omni...good price and the one downtown is very nice. There are several good options available down there in addition to the ones mentioned in the above posts. Aside from the Omni being a mid-price upscale hotel you have the Hilton, I think given the weekend of the game you should consider a lot of downtown options.

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

Have some fun. It sounds like a big event. We've been there for similar events, and use the Four Seasons. If you're coming from the Panhandle, you need to stay near trees and water.

Great rooms, good bar, fantasic bar mix. and they'll shuttle you to the capitol.

10. Re: Closest Hotel to the Capitol?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 17:19