We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virginia creeper trail

Which Abingdon hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilson, North...
Level Contributor
53 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
virginia creeper trail

Which is the best location to start? Abingdon, Damacus, White Top?

Children are 9 and 15. Will 9 year old be able to do it. She is fairly active, rides 5-7 miles on flat ground with ease.

What type of bike? Road, Hybrid, mountain?

What are some of the places to stop along the trail?

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: virginia creeper trail

I have not done the Damascus to Abingdon part, but my understanding is it's pretty flat so you will have to pedal most of the way. However, if you do White Top to Damascus, it's all down hill so you will be coasting most of the way. I recommend that -- White Top to Damascus. It's beautiful. It's fairly easy. I'm not an athlete, and I don't do much in the way of exercise, and I can do it so anybody can!

There are lots of bike shops in Damascus where you can rent a bike and they'll drive you to White Top. We used Sun Dog Outfitters -- highly recommend. I'm pretty sure the bikes were mountain bikes, certainly not road.

As for places to stop, there's really only one stop for food and that's the cafe in Taylor's Valley. Their website isn't working, so I'm not sure what the status is. I can't believe it could be out of business -- it's a busy trail and everyone stops there. Otherwise you can stop wherever you want to enjoy the view, walk on rocks in the streams, sit on a log in a makeshift campsite.

Do it -- have a great time!

Winston Salem, NC
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: virginia creeper trail

White top to Damascus is almost all down hill. We ride from abingdon to damascus. It is slightly down hill. The trail is totally different as it passes through farms and there are several gates to pass through. It is over 15 miles to Damascus with plenty of places to stop and rest or to have a picnic .

It can be cool in the mornings in October. Hope this helps

3. Re: virginia creeper trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 March 2011, 05:46
Get answers to your questions about Abingdon
More Abingdon Topics