We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bed and breakfasts

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
bed and breakfasts

We're looking for a bed and breakfast in old town and aren't coming up with a whole lot. Old town seems like prime b&b territory with all those old quaint houses. What gives?

We know there's the Morrison House but it is a bit pricey.

We did find the Alexandria and Arlington Bed and Breakfast Network www.aabbn.com and their 9 or so b&bs. Does anyone have any experience with any of them?

Also there's a Willson House at 311 Cameron in the yellow pages. Any local expert knowledge about that one?

Thanks for your help.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bed and breakfasts

http://www.aabbn.com/ and click on the "B&B List" tab.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bed and breakfasts

You would think it would be great for B&Bs, but housing prices are expensive and people really like living here so that may be why there aren't many.

There is one around the corner from where I live, but I don't know if it is included in the aabbn list. I can drive by it after the snow melts this week and see. If you are interested in the one on Cameron, I could do the same.

When are you thinking of coming?

Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bed and breakfasts

Thanks Fakename. If you don't mind checking out those two I'd appreciate it. Did you get much snow?

We're coming April 4-9 -- easter weekend.

I tried calling the number I found for that Willson House on Cameron and it was a wrong number.

I tried e-mailing the people at the Alexandria and Arlington Bed and Breakfast Assn. www.aabn.com on Monday and still no answer.

So not only are there very few b&bs in old town but they don't advertise or do customer relations very well either.

We'll probably just end up at the former Hilton by town square unless anyone else has a better suggestion.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
455 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bed and breakfasts

Also consider Crystal City, VA. It is between Old Town and DC. Prices there might be a little cheaper and it is a nice area with shops and pleanty of places to eat. Not "historic" like Old Town, but a little easier on the wallet.

Ice is everywhere and my rear-wheel drive car isn't happy. I should be able to get around by Wednesday when things thaw out.

Keep you posted

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,447 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bed and breakfasts

Thanks for your help Fakename and offers to do some investigative reporting for us.

We have booked a room at Gadsby's House -- a b&b with the Alexandria and Arlington Bed and Breakfast Association.

I will be sure to write a review here after our trip in April since no one has reviewed any of the b&bs in Old Town.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,447 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Luray, Virginia
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bed and breakfasts

The thing is...I am not sure that B & B's are actually allowed in OLD TOWN..go figure..but some of the areas around D.C. they are not..so things are hush hush and often done by referral agencies.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,447 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Honokaa, Hawaii
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bed and breakfasts

Huh...veerrry interesting. That explains a lot. Like why there are so few b&bs and why the ones that do exist all seem to belong to one "referal agency" and why their advertising is much more low key than I'd expect.

Thanks for the info

Alexandria, VA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: bed and breakfasts

Try The Almost Heaven Bed and Breakfast

http://www.bedandbreakfastinnvirgina.com

They are located about 5 minutes from Old Town.

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,447 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Alexandria, VA
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: bed and breakfasts

The Almost Heaven bed and breakfast is about 7 minutes or 5miles from Old Town. The metro is the 2nd stop.

their website is

http://www.bedandbreakfastinnvirginia.com

Mentioned in this post
Old Town
Old Town
2,447 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Stuck in North Texas
Level Contributor
760 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bed and breakfasts

Osifrage:

I'd really appreciate your review as we are also trying to find a B&B in this area. I guess, with uncanny luck, we picked the busiest weekend of the year - May 18 - with graduations galore. We've checked out (seems like hundreds) places in DC and if they aren't full, they are TOTALLY out of our budget. (seniors - retired teachers on a fixed pension....)

So now we're going out further afield; we won't have a car - have to rely on public transportation. Hoping to find a place - safe walking distance from the Metro.

We like B&B accomodation and have stayed in them all over and like that style. I have contacted AABBN - but no word yet; I'm sure the 11 or so they handle will be full for these prime dates. (Already have our tickets so can't change that....)