We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry/Boat trips to MyT Vernon from Alexandria?

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry/Boat trips to MyT Vernon from Alexandria?

We will be in Alexandria for a couple of days as part of a trip to the area in September. We would like to turn in our rental car before we go to Alexandria and we are interested in visiting Mt Vernon. I have found a couple of boat tour web sites but as I look at the schedule I can't tell if they are regularly scheduled, "hop-on-hop off " or specific hours with a tour included. Does anyone know how they are organized?

Thanks

jhgrady

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,674 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry/Boat trips to MyT Vernon from Alexandria?

I assume that you have looked at the websites for Potomac Riverboat Company (leaving from Alexandria) and Spirit Cruises (leaving from D.C.) They each run on a set schedule with one departure to Mt. Vernon and one departure from Mt. Vernon each day. During the time that the boat is docked at Mt. Vernon, you can tour the grounds and the mansion, but you are are your own to do this. Depending on the boat that you choose, the time you have at Mt. Vernon will range from 3.5 to 4 hours. (While some people could spend a whole lot more time there than this, it's actually a fairly decent amount of time to see the highlights of Mt. Vernon.) The price of admission to Mt. Vernon is included in the price of your ticket.

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry/Boat trips to MyT Vernon from Alexandria?

There is no "organization" outside of paying for your tickets and being there at the scheduled departure times. It's not like the cruise ship shore excursions, instead it's like when the cruise ship docks in a port. You get off on a pier at the bottom of Mt. Vernon on the river near farm plots, then walk uphill to the main attractions.

We have an annual pass to Mt.Vernon to see it in all it's seasons and often are sitting on the wharf side when those boats pull in or take off. Everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. A car remains the most convenient way since you can arrive and depart at your own schedule and parking is free at Mt. Vernon.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry/Boat trips to MyT Vernon from Alexandria?

Just wondering now that Charm has mentioned the walking up the hill. When one goes on a boat ride FROM Mt. Vernon for a bit and back again one can get a bus down and bus up. I hadn't thought about it before and glad you brought it up, but it might be that the bus doesn't meet the tour from Alexandria. Any idea? Thanks.

Worcester, MA
Destination Expert
for Dordogne
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry/Boat trips to MyT Vernon from Alexandria?

Thanks for your responses - The trip seems nice but somewhat lengthy for our purposes. We will probably drive and visit MT Vernon on our way back from gettysburg before we return the rental

jhg

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferry/Boat trips to MyT Vernon from Alexandria?

This just published in today's Washington Post weekend section:

A combo of rental bike for the 9 mile ride to Mt. Vernon, Admission, then a boat ride back. Back in the day when I did marathons and triathlons, this would have been fun.

washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/20…

charm

6. Re: Ferry/Boat trips to MyT Vernon from Alexandria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2010, 05:18