We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

My husband and I are going to Williamsburg, but we plan to take a day to go see Mt. Vernon. This is the only site we plan on going to see while in the area; we've already done the whole D.C. thing on a previous trip.

We have enough Marriott points for a free night, so I'm looking at the following properties: Springhill Suites in Alexandria, Springhill Suites Tech Center, and Residence Inn at Carlyle. Does anyone have a recommendation and/or opinion on which might be best (or worst)? Since we're only going to Mt. Vernon, I'm looking for the one that will be the easiest commute and have something nearby for dinner before leaving in the morning. Obviously, I'd like it to be half-decent and clean, too!

Any opinions would be appreciated! Or if there are any other Marriott properties I've overlooked which would also be good options, please add those recommendations as well. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
SpringHill Suites Alexandria
SpringHill Suites...
464 Reviews
Alexandria, VA
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
583 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

All things are not equal! Go for Residence Inn at Carlyle, there is one on Duke Street, nearby too! There are too many restaurant choices in the immediate area, and down on King! Also easy in and out to Mt. Vernon by not having to wade into commuter traffic to Mt. Vernon.

Hope this is helpful!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

So are you saying that it would be a fairly easy commute between Mt. Vernon and the Residence Inn, but not the other properties? That's an important consideration. Nice to know there would be lots of restaurant choices, too. Thank you!

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
583 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

Jammin:

I confused the tech center with another hotel in Alexandria (Faifax County). Tech center is in the Eisenhower valley area. The hotels are infrequently interspersed along an industrial/office park area. A car is required to go anywhere. Same is true for Springhill Alexandria which is on route 1. All are also easy to and from mt Vernon. The Residence Inns are closer to old town proper, and is walking distance to shopping and restaurants.

It's the difference between a good experience and a wonderful experience!

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

Thank you so much for clarifying! I think we'll definitely go with a Residence Inn. I'd love to be within walking distance of some shops and restaurants if we have some extra time after Mt. Vernon.

Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

Thought I would mention a couple of places near Mount Vernon in case you're not familiar with them. Since you come to Williamsburg so often...perhaps next trip. There is a Pa connection, too.

Woodlawn Plantation is just down the road from Mount Vernon. 126 acre estate now, the property used to comprise 2,000 acres but was originally part of Washington's Mount Vernon. It was built 1800-1805 for Washington's nephew Major Lawrence Lewis and his bride, Nelly Custis Lewis, who I believe was Martha Washington's granddaughter. It's a beautiful property inside and out. But closed just now for window restoration until March 2013. http://woodlawn1805.org/

On that property, and still open, is Frank Lloyd Wright's Pope-Leighey House. http://popeleighey1940.org/

Mentioned in this post
Virginia
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
6,798 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

PS Not for accommodations but for wonderful places to explore.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
111 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

Woodlawn Plantation would be right up my alley -- I'm so disappointed to hear that it's closed at the moment, because we'd definitely be adding it to the itinerary! Definitely something to keep in mind for the future, though. Thanks for the recommendation.

8. Re: Which of these hotels for going to Mt. Vernon?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 11:41