We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Mt vernon & Arlington national by bike

Portland, Oregon
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Touring Mt vernon & Arlington national by bike

We are visiting DC next week. My 14yr old son and I would like to visit Mt Vernon and Arlington National cemetery. Can we do this by bike? is it safe?. How long would it take to get there? If it cant be done by bike, what is the best way to do it using public transportation as an option?

Thanks.

Silver Spring...
Level Contributor
10,740 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Mt vernon & Arlington national by bike

I responded on your other thread re public transportation:

www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/ContactUs/FAQ.aspx…

3.Can I ride a bicycle in Arlington National Cemetery?

Bicycles are only permitted within Cemetery grounds on Meigs Drive, Sherman Drive and Schley Drive traveling in one direction from Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (JBMHH) towards Memorial Drive or as otherwise authorized by the Executive Director.

Bicyclists may use the route indicated above during the hours of 8 a.m. to 6:45 p.m. from April 1 to September 30 and 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. from October 1 to March 31.

Exceptions for bicycle touring groups may be requested in advance and authorized in writing by the Executive Director. An individual visiting a relative's gravesite may be issued a temporary pass by the Executive Director to permit him or her to proceed directly to and from the gravesite by bicycle.

See our bicycle use policy

arlingtoncemetery.mil/AboutUs/BicyclePolicy.…

-----------------------------

Travel to Mount Vernon on Bike

Cyclists can reach Mount Vernon from Washington, D.C. via the Mount Vernon trail. Nearly 18 miles long, the paved Trail follows the Potomac River’s Virginia shoreline from Theodore Roosevelt Island (near Rosslyn, Virginia) to Mount Vernon. Bike racks are located at the end of the bike trail.

http://www.mountvernon.org/more/directions

ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Mt vernon & Arlington national by bike

Your best bet is to work with a good bicycle rental shop where they get these questions all the time plus know day to day issues. If you rent in Old Town (this is the Alexandria forum after all), here is thread with good information

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g30226-i572-k52302…

You can also go to the DC forum and search for "bike rentals" since you are staying in DC for good advice on DC bike rental shops

Be sure to make some time to tour Old Town, No trip to DC is complete without going over to our side of the Potomac.

Charm

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,239 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Touring Mt vernon & Arlington national by bike

Although the Mount Vernon bike path is quite famous, be advised that's very narrow and is shared by walkers, joggers, and both fast and slow cyclists. At the very south end near the Mansion is a steep up-hill.

Also, there are 2 quiet, level streets called "East and West Boulevard Drive' that parallel a portion of the bikepath and you can ride as an alternative for part of the way. Very few cyclists realize this, as they all just follow the crowd, and lack the imagination to actually study street maps.

Edited: 03 May 2012, 02:48
ALEXANDRIA va
Level Contributor
759 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Touring Mt vernon & Arlington national by bike

MarylandMist's caution about the trail mirrors our experience except that we have found that the "fast' bike riders do not want to share the trail at all, but rather live out their fantasy of being the lead rider in the Tour de France races. Walkers, baby strollers, joggers, normal bike riders are obstacles that they try to run off the road or whip by with no room to spare.

Since we like to have a leisurely stroll on the DC -alexandria power plant portion of the trail, I started carrying a solid wooden walking stick I bought in Asheville, NC that has a squirrel on top (so it's just shy of 5 foot), it's amazing how many of those Lycra clad roadhogs suddenly remembered their manners and behaved the way the very nice daytripper bike riders do : ". While none of the speed racers have the cute little bell /ringer that some rental riders use (brings back childhood memories), once they see that stick, instead of brushing past us with no warning, it's " Passing on your left please " . Also the ones that used to rode directly towards us as they passed others now even use their brakes since their thousand dollar bike would crumple into junk if they hit my stick.

The majority of the bike path users are kind, courteous and considerate of all the other users, but there is always a small self centered minority that you need to watch out for. Enjoy your visit.

Charm

5. Re: Touring Mt vernon & Arlington national by bike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 12:42