We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel outside of DC

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel outside of DC

Hello. We will be in the DC area June 23 - 26. We are a family of three arriving by car from New England. We don't need to stay in the center of Washington, so we are looking for a hotel outside of the city that we can stay at and get to public transportation easily to get into the city to see the sites. What areas outside of the city would any of you recommend? I'm thinking northern VA or MD. We like the main chain hotels, Marriott, Hilton, Radisson, etc. We won't be doing Priceline for this trip as we might have to cancel. We don't want to drive into Washington, so being close to the Metro is important. Thanks.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel outside of DC

Lots of great threads in the VA board about chain hotels in the Crystal City and Pentagon City neighborhoods in Arlington

I can vouch for Crystal City as family friendly, cheap eats (though some pricier places have come into the neighborhood in the "revitalization" movement) and hotels steps away from the metro

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Washington DC
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel outside of DC

I agree that Crystal City is your best bet. Alternatively, you can check out the following hotels:

Embassy Suites Old Town (right across from the metro, but also within walking distance of all that Old Town Alexandria has to offer).

In Arlington, you can try the hotels in Rossyln: Hyatt Rosslyn or the Marriott Key Bridge would be my first choices, but if you're on a tight budget you may also want to try the Holiday Inn or the Best Western. Rosslyn can be kind of quiet at night, but there are a few dining options up the road toward Courthouse and it's not too bad a walk across the river into Georgetown. Otherwise, there's the Hilton Garden Inn at Courthouse and the Hilton at Ballston.

Check out the reviews and the prices and see what works for you.

Enjoy your stay!

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel outside of DC

The Marriot Key Bridge got rave reviews from my boyfriend's mother who usually stays at the Georgetown Inn, which I am told is more expensive.

She's got quite high expectations of hotels- so her endorsement means a lot to me.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel outside of DC

Does Crystal City close up in evenings and on weekends? I read this somewhere else. Want to have someone around if we are walking back from metro to hotel in late evening after dark.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel outside of DC

I wouldn't say it closes up, but the underground shops (tunnels for pedestrians connecting the metro station to hotels and office buildings) can be deserted. I posted about that recently and you may be recalling that.

The boutiques and fast food places, basically anything that is not sit down closes up. Though it can be a ghost town down there, it is safe enough- I lived there for years and would walk through there to get to the supermarket- now gone.

I only once in four years was approached by someone begging for money.

The streets will be full of tourists at nite, and mainly tourists for that matter. Crystal City is often looked down upon by the DC set as the ugly hotel area, so you will have more tourist company than residents esp in summer.

Above ground, things are open and lots of new restaurants were added a few years ago in a revitalization that changed the atmosphere a lot (aka many residents were priced out of the neighborhood).

Kvandy has mentioned some of the restaurants, and you can ask her for further reviews.

jq
Sacramento, CA
Level Contributor
661 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel outside of DC

TravelDreamin

So Crystal City is ok on weekends and at night. I didn't want to be in an area where everyone is gone at 7pm and you're walking around by yourself from the metro. I don't mind someone begging once in a while as long as they don't have a gun!!!! I worked in downtown Sacto for 30 yrs so I know what those can be like.

We will keep looking in that area too. Would like to get closer to capital mall, dupont area if we can without having to three times as much or getting even worse hotels.

This is way too much work.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel outside of DC

It is very safe, trust me. I am a paranoid type, and I never felt worried walking home at nite, even weeknites when the streets are deserted after dark.

I think staying in DuPont would be a lot of fun, but as you mentioned it costs more. . . I don't usually watch hotel prices here, since it is home, but I'm sure there are lots of people on the forum who can make suggestions.

With Crystal City you're saving money for making the trade off of not being right in walking distance of "the action". Crystal City gets lots of young family and middle school group tourists, so that is who will be around you in the hotels there.