We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

Hi-

I am from the west coast and have never traveled in this area. In the summer we will be travelling from Philly to Wyndham Old Town Alexandria across from the King St Metro. It is a family trip and I am wondering about transportation options from Philly? We will have a rental car while in Philly but I was hoping to drop it off before heading to Alexandria. I was thinking the train could be more interesting (teens have never been on a train) but honestly I am really uninformed in this area. If anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it. I am definitely unsure of the need to transfer from one train to another to get to our final destination. Or maybe we should just keep the car rental and drop it in Old Town?

Any info/comments would be appreciated!

Thank you!

KJ

Richmond VA USA
Destination Expert
for Richmond
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

Amtrak has several trains a day that go through Philadelphia and stop in Alexandria. For most routes, no transfers are necessary. You have the option of going all the way to Alexandria on Amtrak, or getting off at Union Station in DC and switching to the Metro to get directly to King St.

If you take the train all the way to Alexandria, you'll probably want a taxi at the Alexandria train station to get you to your accommodations. If you get off at Union Station, you'll need to take the Red line toward Shady Grove and get off at Gallery Place and switch to the Yellow line toward Huntington to get to King St. station.

I wouldn't say the train is all that interesting, but it's more convenient than driving down I-95, especially during rush hour.

http://www.amtrak.com

http://www.wmata.com

Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

Thank you so much! I appreciate your reply!

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
528 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

Kier:

Train travel can be a cool, if expensive option, only for the experience. There are a few things to consider. The drive itself is only 2 hours and is equally scenic and an easy drive, minus rush hour traffic.

There are some additional considerations, however. All trains terminate at Union Station, and there can be a significant wait until it departs for southern destinations. Alexandria is all but a 15 minute ride from Union station by train and you could wait an hour or more until it departs the station for the Alexandria Station, which is opposite the King Street Metro. The reader above provides you Metro station advice, should you opt to depart the station. A taxi is probably more cost effective with a large crew.

My advice would be drive and drop the car off at National Airport and take a cab (more cost effective than Metro w/large crew) and approx $15 from Reagan National). You do not need, nor want a car as Metro is great for getting into and out of the city. Parking fees exceed $30 at the various hotels. Old Town is a walking city, so it just isn't worth the hassle to keep a rental.

I hope you find this helpful.

Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

Yes I checked into the cost of the train and it was a bit out of my budget for a few hours commute for the timeframe we are looking at ($440 for 4 of us.) So I do think we will keep the rental car and drop it where you recommend. Thank you for the information. :)

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
444 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

There is nothing interesting at all about this train, and it does not bring you tonAlexandria anyway, yo'll need to take Metro from tht Union Station. If you already have a car, it is by far the best solution just to drive to Alexandria. Just try to avoid the rush hours between Baltimore and D. C.

Falls Church...
Level Contributor
2,753 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

Not all trains terminate at Union Station. Many go down to destinations in Va. all via King Street station as part of the North east corridor.

But there is a delay because sometimes the engines need to be switched out at union station from electric to diesel.

Train travel is fun and I definitely think it competes with driving but there's nothing really remarkable about the route either way.

Washington
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

Thank you all again!

8. Re: Transportation from Philly to Old Town Alexandria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 May 2015, 05:15