We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fourth of July

Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Fourth of July

We will be in Alexandria from June 30-July 5th, at the Monaco. We have no plans as of yet for July 4th, and are not really interested in fighting the crowds in DC. So what are our options for fireworks? Are there good viewing spots in Alexandria? Do you have to stake out a spot early?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Falls Church...
Level Contributor
3,271 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fourth of July

I know the city of Alexandria has their own events but I'm not too sure on the specifics.

One year we went to the top of the garage for the Huntington Metro station and got a great view of the fireworks. There wasn't much of a crowd at all.

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
586 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fourth of July

So a few thoughts for you to consider.

The City of Alexandria celebrates our own birthday on Saturday following the 4th weekend! It is always a great small town celebration at the Oronoco Waterfront Park. So unfortunately, you will miss that! The Monaco is obstructed by a tall building, otherwise you might get lucky to see the fireworks from DC from your hotel!

There is a fireworks cruise from the Alexandria Waterfront, just 3 blocks from your hotel! This is a fun cruise, and the best way ever to see the fireworks!

http://www.potomacriverboatco.com/july4th.php

One year we took the water taxi from the Alexandria waterfront to National Harbor, across the Potomac and sat on the lawn of the boardwalk to watch from a distance (approx 7 miles)! You can view fireworks across from Virginia where you can see other local displays which can be fun!

Another thought is to take the Metro to Crystal City and walk north towards Long Bridge Road and the Long Bridge Park. We have had good luck viewing from that vantage point, missing crowds!

Hope you find this helpful!

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Virginia
Long Bridge Park
Long Bridge Park
44 Reviews
Arlington, VA
Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
586 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fourth of July

One more worthy idea I had forgotten! We spent one fourth at Mt. Vernon! It was a full day, and if you get lucky the weather cooperates! They had daytime fireworks, a citizenship ceremony and revolutionary exhibits all day long! Was quite an experience!

For more info:

http://www.mountvernon.org/july4

Illinois
Level Contributor
22 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fourth of July

Thanks for the responses. I love having options. I like the watertaxi idea, is this a popular option? IF we decide to do this how early would you leave?

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
586 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fourth of July

There is shopping and plenty of restaurants to dine! If this is your plan, I'd check out the resturants first and make reservations in advance! Otherwise, you will be sorry! There is not a day's worth to do there (unless you head to the Tanger Outlets), so I'd say 4-5 to get a bite to eat and then find a spot! You will also need to reserve a space for the return, particularly for the 4th. The water taxi is only a few dollars, and return trip needs to be guaranteed. You might just take the water taxi to National Harbor, then plan on a taxi (cab) ride back (around $12) at your leisure. Last water taxi departs on 4th at 11:30, it appears!

potomacriverboatco.com/national-harbor-sched…

http://nationalharbor.com/dining/

Mentioned in this post
Level Contributor
337 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fourth of July

Mt. Vernon definitely has daytime fireworks every year as I hear the booming for a bit from my house (in between OT and Mt V).

If you don't mind a walk, then go north of Old Town to Daingerfield Island. It's about two miles and you simply take the Mt. Vernon Trail there. When you get there, you can simply walk out and sit on the floating docks. It offers a good view of the DC fireworks, plus you can usually see others from around the area. And it doesn't require anything more than a little walk or bike ride.

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
586 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fourth of July

More ideas while you are here!

wjla.com/articles/2014/07/d-c-area-guide-to-…

8. Re: Fourth of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 05:16