We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodations for a larger group

Which Alexandria hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Moscow Mills...
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodations for a larger group

We are traveling to VA from November 6-13th, 2014. There will be 3 adults and 5 kids. We are a homeschooling family taking an extended field trip to see our nation's capital. I am interested in staying in Alexandria and taking the metro in to D.C. for sightseeing. We will be renting a minivan for transportation. Everything is coming together well except for our lodging. Since we are a large group, our only choices seem to be house rentals that are out of our budget ($200/night) or hotels that are too small to fit all of us in one suite.

Does anyone know of an affordable place to fit all of us, or should we adjust our expectations? Thanks for your help!

Carrie

Springfield, VA
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodations for a larger group

The reality is that your budget is very low for a party of your size coming to the Washington, DC, area. The budget hotels that are recommended for visitors to Northern Virginia are the American Hotel in Crystal City (Arlington, VA) or the Best Western Rosslyn/Iwo Jima (also in Arlington), but you would need multiple rooms to accommodate the size of your party. Because of fire codes, hotels are not going to let you put more people in a room than the room is allowed to hold.

Would you be open to camping? Your budget would let you rent a couple cabins at Pohick Bay Regional Park? It's in Fairfax County, south of Alexandria, but you could drive to Metro in Springfield, VA. With the size of your group, however, you'd actually save money driving into town and paying for a garage.

http://www.nvrpa.org/park/pohick_bay/

Alexandria, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Alexandria
Level Contributor
519 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodations for a larger group

Hahn Family:

I've contemplated responding to your request for a few days. As Carol pointed out, getting a hotel room alone for less than $200/nt is a serious challenge for such a large group. Here are a couple of thoughts for you to consider. I checked a Homewood suite on Leesburg pike to fit your family on those days and the rate clocked in at $319w/o taxes (however, includes breakfast and dinner - a consideration) and free parking!!

Local laws appear to require at least two rooms for your brood. The cheapest hotel that I could find that was local and in an clean/safe neighborhood with easy access to Alexandria (old town - 2 miles); near Mt. Vernon (5 miles); near Metro - (1 mile); DC (6 miles) - is the Red Roof Inn Plus on Richmond Hwy. The price shown for your timeframe is $79/night room (no breakfast) you would need two rooms for your group and near lots of fast food options.

I also would suggest searching in the Springfield area (zip code area 22150)! The Hilton is showing $95/nt for your timeframe. Springfield is at the confluence of two major interstates and is about 10 miles from Old Town and equal distance to DC and Mt. Vernon. There are lots of fast food options.

For more suite type hotels that offer meals/free parking - consider the Reston/Herndon/Dulles Airport corridor (35 miles from anywhere) where they are more plentiful and reasonable than the closer in suburbs; but easy access to major Hwys to and from the city.

Getting your brood around in a mini-van will also require some cost benefit analysis. Parking, at least downtown will require research as daily parking rates are easily $30/day and can be $45/day! Metro would be prohibitive for your large crew, but the convenience factor alone for Metro is a plus!

So to end - ensure hotel doesn't charge for parking; those with free meals will defray some of your costs, so is a tradeoff!

I hope you find this helpful!

Moscow Mills...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodations for a larger group

Wow, thank you very much!!!!

I truly appreciate it. I was wondering about the cost of the Metro, and how fast it will add up, when multiplied by 8. However, I don't think I am stout of heart enough to drive in downtown DC.

I'm going to go check out the Homewood Suites right now.

Thanks again for everything, Karen!

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,665 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodations for a larger group

Hahn Family, I don't think that Homewood Suites on Leesburg Pike is going to work well if you plan to use public transportation. It is nowhere near a Metro station, so you'd have to rely on a bus/Metro combination which will be expensive and time-consuming. (You are looking at close to $60 RT per day for your group and around an hour of commuting time each way.)

You might want to check out the Americana Hotel as Carol suggested. For your dates, you can get two rooms for $80 - $95 each per night, which is within your budget. Parking is free and a continental breakfast is included. Driving is not as difficult as you think and you can park all day at Union Station for $22 or park for 15 hours at the Ronald Reagan Building for $23. Should you want to take Metro from the Americana, it is within easy walking distance of two Metro stations and the fares and commute times are much less than what it would be from the Homewood Suites ($30 per day for your group and 15 minutes each way commute time.)

Finally, I would think twice (or three times) about staying anywhere in the Reston/Herndon/Dulles Airport corridor. Even with the advent of the new Silver Line on Metro, getting from there to D.C. via public transportation will be expensive and time-consuming. Driving that route into D.C. is a nightmare.

Edited: 02 August 2014, 17:50
pittsburgh
Level Contributor
117 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodations for a larger group

We've stayed at the Towne Place Suites by Marriott in Springfield,Va. It's nice affordable I paid less then $150 for a two bedroom suite. Parking is free and is a easy drive to Alexandra and Washington.

They may have 3 bedroom suites also.

6. Re: Accommodations for a larger group

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 August 2015, 05:16