We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arlington Bike Paths: Where/When best paths for novice rider

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Arlington Bike Paths: Where/When best paths for novice rider

We will be visiting the Arlington area Fri-Sun 10/10-10/12. I'd love to find a good section of the Mt. Vernon Trail or the C&O trail to ride with my son who is a relatively new rider. I downloaded the Arlington bike path maps but I'm not familiar with which sections are less congested than others. Also, what times of day would be less populated on the weekend?

Washington DC Big Bus Hop-On Hop-Off...
772 reviews
from US$35.10*
Morning DC Small-Group Bus Tour
12 reviews
from US$55.00*
Arlington National Cemetery Guided...
20 reviews
from US$30.00*
2-Day Grand Tour of Washington DC
91 reviews
from US$135.00*
Ashburn, Virginia
Level Contributor
299 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arlington Bike Paths: Where/When best paths for novice rider

There is a small parking lot on the George Washington Parkway (northbound) just past the Roosevelt Bridge that is a good starting point. We park there and then head south towards Alexandria on the bike path. It takes you down the river and has amazing views of DC across the water (Memorial Bridge, Lincoln, Washington and Jefferson Memorials). It's neat to ride it all the way to the area near Reagan National Airport. If the wind is blowing the right way, planes take off northwest-bound and fly right overhead. There is a larger parking lot here if you want to start here and work your way up the river. Parts of this path do get close to the GW Parkway (mainly when crossing a bridge), so if your son is young, definitely have him walk his bike along these parts.

This weekend's weather is looking to be absolutely beautiful. I don't know if there will be a "low" time for the crowd, but it's not so busy you'd be holding up the line or feel crowded. People spread out on the path. But parking might be another issue. Just try to get there earlier in the day if possible.

Northern NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arlington Bike Paths: Where/When best paths for novice rider

My son would be very excited to see airplanes takeoff and I'm looking forward to the great views across the river. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the great information!

3. Re: Arlington Bike Paths: Where/When best paths for novice rider

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2009, 17:21