We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dulles to DC, child allergies?

Which Arlington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
1 post
Save Topic
Dulles to DC, child allergies?

Hello everybody, really enjoying this forum and appreciate everyone's reviews and advice. My wife and 4-year old daughter and I are flying from Michigan to Dubai (our home) on August 11 via IAD, and will stay in the DC area arriving August 8 around noon at Dulles. We're hoping to spend $100-150 a night or less, see some main sites in DC and maybe a bit around too. We were recommended to stay outside of DC for lower hotel rates, maybe in Crystal City? The advisor site sent me here (Arlington) when I went to Crystal City. Our daughter has several strong food allergies and my wife needs a gluten-free diet, so we're hoping to find a place that will allow us to boil water in our room, maybe the kitchen would help bake a potato, etc, to take with us during the day, use the refrigerator if there isn't one in the room. (I'm a bit naive about DC perhaps, please understand! :-) It sounds like the metro is the way to go in the city, but how to get to a hotel from Dulles? I understand there are share-vans/taxis that might take us to a hotel in another suburb for about $50? We'll have 2 large bags + carryons so a bus or metro would be hard. Does the DC metro allow child strollers? I saw the Embassy Suites Hotel reviews and that looks like it's good option. Or maybe a bed-and-breakfast is better for our child's needs? Thanks for any and all suggestions! Regards, Jerry.

Arlington, Virginia
Level Contributor
11,837 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dulles to DC, child allergies?

Crystal City (which is just an area of Arlington near Reagan National Airport) would indeed be a good place to stay since it's a quick Metro ride from there into D.C. Since Embassy Suites' rate for those dates comes in at or under your budget, I would certainly recommend staying there.

Embassy Suites rooms have a refrigerator and a microwave and you could boil water and bake a potato in the microwave. You might be able to order a baked potato from the restaurant the night before, but the restaurant does not operate in the mornings since they have their breakfast buffet.

Super Shuttle from IAD to the Embassy Suites will indeed cost you around $50. If you prefer to take a taxi (which would take you directly to the hotel), expect to pay around $70.

Strollers are allowed on Metro, but they are not allowed on the Metro escalators. You will need to take the child out of the stroller and close it to ride the escalator or you will need to use an elevator (which may not be in operation in all Metro stations.)

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
2,862 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dulles to DC, child allergies?

So if I have this right, you arrive Friday August 8 and fly out Monday August 11? For those nights, check out the Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn. As of now you can get a 1 bedroom suite with a queen bed and roll-away for $139 a night. It is a nice hotel, in a great location. The room includes a full kitchen with microwave and refrigerator. There is a grocery store (a Safeway) about two blocks away, so you can pick up whatever food you need after your arrival. You are then about six blocks from the Rosslyn Metro stop, which will take you anywhere you want to go in the city. Other choices certainly exist -- that weekend has some amazing room deals available at non-suite hotels -- but given your need for a kitchen I think this one is ideal.

To get to your hotel, an airport taxi is going to run you about $75 inclusive of tip. That's the easiest option -- they'll take you straight to the hotel, and will have no problem with the amount of luggage you are carrying. The shared ride van service (SuperShuttle) you mention will cost you less -- it's $29 for the first passenger and $10 for each additional passenger, including your child, so about $50 -- but it may take you as long as two hours to get to your hotel if they drop passengers ahead of you at a distant hotel. I think the extra $25 for the taxi is therefore worth it. In terms of the bus, the Metro 5A express bus from the airport runs to Rosslyn for $6 per person each way, and drops you about six blocks from your hotel. With lots of bags and a child that would not be a fun walk, so I agree it isn't a good option in your situation.

Finally, strollers are allowed (and commonly seen) on the Metro. Just try not to block the doorway with it, particularly during rush hour, when trains get crowded. You may be best served to wait to get on the Metro until after 9:30 AM, when trains start to empty out some.

3. Re: Dulles to DC, child allergies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2014, 21:39
4. Re: Dulles to DC, child allergies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Arlington