We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

lpz12,

Thanks for confirming Jet72's recommendation of the Anaco Bay Inn (Re: luaulady's San Juan Motel thread in the Anacortes forum--rather than hijack that one further, I started this new thread). The rates were so reasonable at the Anaco Bay, I was a little unsure if I had the right place! The Calico Cupboard is definitely our breakfast plan--I doubt the continental breakfast that comes with the room can compare, although including breakfast is another point for the Anaco Bay Inn.

I really hope we'll get a chance to walk the loop in WA park as you mentioned. It sounds like such a beautiful place. We're also hoping to get over to Guemes for an hour or so as Jet suggested. We'd like to try Anderson's General Store for lunch, but we also wanted to eat at The Chocolate Factory. Too many choices! We're going to have to walk all the way back to Florida to get rid of the diet damage from this trip!

Thanks to both you and Jet72 for your helpful advice about Anacortes. I feel so much better prepared, especially since it's such a short visit. I'm sure we'll be back!

SE2NW

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
539 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

HI, as you are preparing for your trip west just wanted to assure you that everything is up and running after the big windstorms last week. We lost power for a while but are all on line again!

Have a safe trip out here and enjoy your visit to our wonderful community!

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

Thanks Jet72! We just returned last night. We had a great time in your beautiful little town of Anacortes. It's in the top 2 of our final relocation choices as we narrow the locations down. From all the areas we started with before our roadtrip last week, we're down to Whidbey Island (Coupeville or Langley) and Anacortes. We keep going back and forth on which is #1--we love them both for different reasons. Whidbey is really tugging at us. It is such a peaceful beautiful place. People were so nice and welcoming in both places.

Another visit to find a home is in order, but probably not until spring or summer. The Skyline area of Anacortes is beautiful, and we also liked an area of new craftsman style homes near Cranberry Lake (or maybe it was called Cranberry park--I'll have to recheck my notes). We drove the loop around scenic Washington Park. Incredible views!

I may have more questions after I process all the info we brought back with us. Thanks for your suggestions! Our stay at the Anaco Bay Inn was great--very nice place and so convenient. Per your other recommendations, we had a wonderful dinner of fish & chips at the Rockfish Grill, and yummy breakfast at the Calico Cupboard. We bought chocolate gifts at the Chocolate Factory (too full to have lunch), and we also loved browsing around the old marine hardware store in the historic district. One of my co-workers, a former Anacortes resident, mentioned checking it out.

Thanks again for all your suggestions for Anacortes--and to Voyager too for the Whidbey info. We're planning to relocate to one or the other in the next year.

Happy New Year!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

So in spite of the (very) infrequent wind storm, you'll be here? Good. It's too good a region to leave as most of us know but don't tell anyone... Glad you had a nice trip. Thanks for "calling back" and letting us know how you fared. Happy New Year.

Anacortes...
Level Contributor
539 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

If you do end up here, try to take part in the NewComers group that meets at the Fidalgo Center. It is a great place to meet people and get to know the community. If you have questions you can email me at fidalgoblue@yahoo.com so we don't hit and miss on this message board.

Glad you had a great visit.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

Voyaging--I know this year's severe northwest storms are unusual and they won't change our ultimate plan to move there. However, we will keep weather in mind as we choose a new home, and make sure we have a wood stove, and possibly a generator. Preparation for loss of power/water is something we understand. We experienced 3 hurricanes within a couple of months a few years ago--a very unusual weather pattern for central FL. Not something we'd particularly want to deal with again, but it did teach us how to be prepared to go for several days without our usual conveniences.

Whidbey Island was everything you said it would be, and although Camano Island was really beautiful--and we did look through a couple of very nice homes in the Camaloch golf community in north Camano--it didn't come close to Whidbey for the sense of community we're seeking. Granted, we didn't have time to really search for community on this fast trip, but from Coupeville down through Langley on Whidbey, we didn't have to look at all--it found us. Lovely place. :-)

I think there is something to that rainshadow effect too. One morning we were in sunshine and blue skies in Coupeville, and the live traffic cams on TV were showing a thick blanket of clouds over Seattle. We walked along the beach, and hiked up to Ebey's Landing for an amazing view. We probably just lucked out with the weather, but as soon as we drove onto Whidbey across the Deception Pass bridge, the sunshine came out and stayed that way for the next three days, until we drove back to Seattle.

Our daughter and son-in-law in Seattle have given us extra incentive to get moved out there this year. Our first grandchild will arrive this summer! :-)

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

Jet72--thanks for your email contact, and the suggestion for the NewComer's group. I'll have more Anacortes questions for you, I'm sure. We really enjoyed your community! My husband and I went to the movie theater across the street from the Rockfish, after having dinner there. We saw Charlotte's Web (9:00pm show--cute movie), and we had the entire movie to ourselves--it was like a private screening! All the kiddies and their parents must have gone to the earlier shows.

We ran out of time the next day, and didn't get a chance to drive up to Mt. Erie, but we will be back. What a nice little town! Our only experience with Anacortes previously was a quick trip years ago through the main road to a marina where my sister-in-law's boat (yacht I should say) was moored. She was transporting several members of the family to Rosario Resort on Orcas Island for her son's wedding. What a beautiful trip that was!

Thanks again for all your helpful advice. It made such a difference in our visit. Trip-Advisor forums are wonderful! :-)

7. Re: Anaco Bay Inn, Anacortes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 15:17