We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tokyo Shibuya to Mount Fuji

7 posts
Save Topic
Tokyo Shibuya to Mount Fuji

Hi there

I will be staying to Tokyo, Shibuya and I was wondering if I can book a night stay out of Tokyo on 20 Jul to see Mount Fuji in the Fujikawaguchiko-machi area in the Yamanashi Prefecture?

The hotel I am looking at is:

Mizuno Hotel [KAWAGUCHIKO] Telephone:+81-555-72-1234

Address: 187 Azagawa, Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture

I understand in Japan, the distances between places can be quite far, and because I intend to return to Tokyo on 21 Jul (I have to catch my flight back on 22Jul), I was wondering if staying in Yamanashi is too far a distance to travel?

Please advise if the above is okay and any inputs about travelling time is appreciated.

Lastly, for 22 Jul, should I book my stay in Shibuya or Ueno? Thanks for your time!

Tokyo and California
Destination Expert
for Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Shinjuku, Japan
Level Contributor
26,569 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tokyo Shibuya to Mount Fuji

Japan has the best public transportation system in the world. Going to Kawaguchiko over night is not a problem at all. It takes about 2.5 hours to get there from Shibuya:

Shibuya-->Shinjuku (by JR Yamanote Line)-->Otsuki (by JR Chuo Line)-->Kawaguchiko (by Fuji Railway.) If you take the Lt. Express Azusa from Shinjuku to Otsuki, you'll shorten travel time.

Alternatively, you can take a highway bus from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko, but it takes slightly longer.

There is no reason to move to Ueno on your last day.

Level Contributor
2,346 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tokyo Shibuya to Mount Fuji

I'd suggest you to take the highway bus from Shinjuku to Kawaguchiko. It takes 1 hour 45 minutes each way.

Mt Fuji access info:

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tokyo Shibuya to Mount Fuji

Dear Shibuyakko and Optimistk

Tnanks so much for your time helping me with my queries. I used the Chuo Rapid service and arrived in Kawaguchiko using the Fujikysu line. It was a wonderful train ride with nice scenery and I had a wonderful time in Japan.

I am so looking forward to going back there again soon! :)

4. Re: Tokyo Shibuya to Mount Fuji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 January 2010, 05:17