We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Mt Fuji in June

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Climbing Mt Fuji in June

Hi,

We are planning to climb Mt-Fuji on June 27th. Since the official season starts only in July, can we still do it? Will there be buses available to take us to the starting station?

Also, we would like to stay in a hotel closest to one of the starting stations, do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Cottbus, Germany
Level Contributor
2 posts
Save Reply
91. Re: Climbing Mt Fuji in June

If I'm right, there are some pictures from this year:

…yahoo.co.jp/fujisannnoyousei/…18

german translated: https://translate.google.co.jp/translate…

Melbourne
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
92. Re: Climbing Mt Fuji in June

Hi all, I went to climb yesterday and the conditions were terrible, rain and cloudy and I wasn't able to get much help in getting up there as the Japanese were all warning me not to. In the end, I couldn't get a bus from Shin-Fuji or Fujioma. The only buses operating were from the station K-something. The person I was climbing with ended up heading up from there, but couldn't get all the way as the track was covered with snow and conditions weren't good. Hope that helps some...

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
93. Re: Climbing Mt Fuji in June

Just called (actually a Japanese colleague did ...) one if the huts on 7th station of Yoshida trail. The hut will open on June 25th and according to them, the trail will be cleared of the remaining snow on June 25th and 26th. Interesting concept ...

If you check some of the pictures posted in the blog mentioned a few posts earlier, you see heavy machinery already at work clearing the trail.

Gothenburg, Sweden
7 posts
Save Reply
94. Re: Climbing Mt Fuji in June

We climbed Mt. Fuji yesterday, Sunday 20 June. The communication was good: lots of busses to station 5, lots of helpful Japanese people. We did it the "old way", went all the way upp. The hike through the forest is worth it and quite easy.

We had heavy rain all the way up and down (we knew that before) and could not even see the mountain. We met some Japanese people who made it to the top, we met lots of others who didn't. Now I understand that there is people climbing without expirience and without gear. We sent three climbers in sweaters and iPhones for torches down when they passed our tent at night. It is a serious hike, we had bad weather and accidents happens up there.

2 huts around 5/6th stations are open, and 2 more on higher level round 3000m prepare to open up these days and supply you with snacks and water.

So, if you use to climb mountains and bring gloves, good hiking shoes, rainclothes (we brought crampons and axes, but never used them), head torch.. give it a try, it is technical easy. If you don't climb mountains, don't do it in June.

Edited: 23 June 2014, 05:07
Taradell, Spain
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
95. Re: Climbing Mt Fuji in June

We've climbed today,and all is ok.huts are open,there are buses,there isn't snow on the kawaguchiko route.rain at the bottom,sun & wind at the summit.Enjoy your climb

Stuttgart, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
96. Re: Climbing Mt Fuji in June

We also did it at the weekend 28/29 June.

Trail was clear of snow all the way to the top, but according to the guide in the hut at which we stayed, that was only done within the week before (for the highest part of the trail). Since he was involved in the clearing of the snow, I tend to believe him.

Buses run from Tokyo to 5th station and back, but until July 1st on a very limited timetable. July 1st all things change and the madness starts. More buses, all huts open, etc. etc. E.g. we were the only guests at the hut on 2900m - normally they have 200-250 guests (which I don't want to even image what it's like). The shrine at the top was still closed, so was the post office at the top. There were people on the trail, but the number was really small compared to the pictures that I have seen from the main season. So in fact, going a few days before July 1st turned out to be the best idea.

Weather wise things were mixed. Saturday June 28 was rain all day long, also during the night. Sunday the sun came out and it turned out to be a perfect day. The forecast actually was warning of heavy rain, even while we were hiking up into the blue sky ... So don't believe the forecast, it's definitely wrong. Or as the guide in our hut always said the weather "it's very changeable". And yes, weather changes really fast at Fuji-san.

As others stated before, hiking boots are better than running shoes, even though we saw lots and lots of Japanese running up the mountain in their running gear (short trousers, T-shirt, small camel bag rucksack). Walking sticks I found extremely useful, especially on the way down. Many other items of potential equipment really depend on the weather.

97. Re: Climbing Mt Fuji in June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2015, 05:15