We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much time needed in Kamakura?

washington
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
How much time needed in Kamakura?

Hello,

We are planning to leave from Tokyo to Hakone with a side trip to Kamakura. Is this doable or worth my time? My plan is to arrive Kamakura between 9-10 am, spend 4-5 hours and then to Hakone by 5pm. We are also planning a trip from Hakone to Takayama and then to Kyoto. Thanks for all your input.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,559 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

Yes, if you are satisfied with visits of 2 or 3 temples. Luggage is other issue.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

Kamakura and Hakone should be seen as a different destination. It's not so rational to do the two in one leg, but I suppose you can if you want. Kamakura is just 1 hour away - still in the suburbs of Tokyo- most if not many of the workers go from there to work in central Tokyo. Hakone is about two hours away from Tokyo, and I think it takes also the same amount of time from Kamakura (perhaps more, even if you backtrack to Shin-Yokohama to board the Shinkansen to Odawara).

Kamakura has a dozen sites, which are a bit dispersed. Some are around Kita-Kamakura, others are east of Kamakura station. Hase area has Hasedera, and Enoshima is in the west. Many of them can be done in a day but with 4-5 hours you might only have time to see Hasedera, the Great Buddha, and Tsurugaoka Hachimangu (which might be just enough).

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

That should be enough, so long as you don't venture to the beach - Giant Buddha and one of the temple (forgot the name, it's on the left side when you head for giant Buddha) is on one way, about 10 min leisure walk from the station. And you still have ample time to savour the local delicacies

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

Luggage can be looked after at the rent-a-cycle shop around the station near the lockers, I think.

http://30min.jp/place/527142

http://twitter.com/renta_kamashou

Otherwise, you might go to Shin-Yokohama station first to have the large suitcases stores, then go to Kamakura. This should be viable if you have JR Pass and are entitled to rides on Shinkansen Hikari and Kodama.

Edited: 28 February 2014, 16:27
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
740 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

Doable if you just focus on major sites. Personally I would stay longer though.

From Tokyo, you should take JR Tokosuka Line which takes you to Kamakura straight. No need for you to Shin-Yokohama as it is simply wasting your time. You can take JR from Kamakura to Ofuna and then transfer to JR Tokaido line to Odawara where you need to transfer to Hakone Tozan Line to Hakone Yumoto. It takes over just 1 hour.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

Is it worth getting the freepass from Shinjuku? 1,430 per adult? What is the difference?

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

Could you name the deal in full? If it's the "Tokyo Free Kippu" you are referring to, it only covers the areas inside the JR Yamanote Line loop and its immediate outside stations.

www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/tokyo_free.html

If it's "Enoshima-Kamakura Freepass" you are referring to, you might or might not consider it, depending on the places you want to visit. Note though that this Pass is for Odakyu Railway Line and Enoden Tram covering both Enoshima and Kamakura. It cannot be used for JR Yokosuka Line/Shonan Shinjuku Line train which arrives faster to Kamakura and Kita-Kamakura stations.

odakyu.jp/english/…

Edited: 31 March 2014, 12:23
Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
24,039 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

The question "is it worth" ... is not a very friendly question without citing which places you would like to go to. The Enoshima-Kamakura Freepass is worth it, if you are taking the Odakyu Railway route to visit both Enoshima and Kamakura (on a long day), because it is cheaper than normal fare ticket price on that route. If you can allow a full day for Enoshima & Kamakura (which I can recommend), it's worth it.

However, if you are coming from Yokohama on JR Line, or if you are interested/have time in visiting Kamakura only from Shinjuku, the Freepass is of no use.

Edited: 31 March 2014, 12:28
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
233 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

Hi

May i know if there is a difference between "Kamakura Free Kankyo Tegata" Pass and the "JR Kamakura-Enoshima Pass"

10. Re: How much time needed in Kamakura?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2015, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Kamakura
More Kamakura Topics