We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

i need help!!!

Indianapolis...
1 post
Save Topic
i need help!!!

i have a friend in Oran,Algeria and i want to go visit him but,do not have the slightiest clue how to. i plan to stay for about two months .i have checked out plane tickets for a round trip a little expensive but it will just have to make do unless some one can give me a helping hand here and give me more info.can i travel by any other form there like maybe by bus or camel or even a ferry?also is there a visa needed?am i allowed to go i heard a little here say that there president said no tourists.what can i do and how do i go about doing it please some body help me i would appreciate it soo much.

London, United...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: i need help!!!

The border with Morocco is closed so you can't go that way to Oran. You could go to Marseilles and catch the ferry but it's a long journey and probably work out not much less in cost than direct flights to Oran.

You will need a visa - which will take a while to get.

And ignore all the "stay away" frighteners - Algeria is as safe as you make it and if you already know people there then you'll be fine.

It's a great and intriguing place to go.

Middleburg, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: i need help!!!

First, you will need a visa. visit the consular website for this: algeria-us.org/consular-affairs-mainmenu-28.… I mailed my passport and application and received it back with the visa in about 6 business days - but allow at least 15.

When you submit for the visa, you either need to submit your travel plans - including proof of the hotels and flights you have pre-paid. OR.. have your friend send an invitation to you. He will need to take this to his local city hall to notorize. Then you will not need to send any flight or hotel info. Algerian visa is good for two years, multiple entry.

As far as flight expense, the winter months are the least expensive to fly. You can fly to Span or France and take a ferry, but it's not that much mroe to fly right to Algiers, and I lot less hassle.

As far as safety, just be alert. DO NOT travel at ngith if you can avoid it. I did on a few occasions, but in a car full of Algerian Men that knew where they were going. Also, stick to the main roads, and stay in the cities especially after dark. This is common sense, really.

I feel it's my second home there, and I love it dearly, I hope you enjoy your trip!

balatonfüres
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: i need help!!!

Hello,

I would like to ask you also about how the situation in Oran?Is it safe to be there as a tourist?My father was used to work in Oran about 20 years ago, and we are planning a trip to Oran for him as a birthday present.Thanks for your help!

Algiers, Algeria
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: i need help!!!

hello!

here's my advice. If you can travel to Barcelona then take ferry from Spain to oran, it will be less expensive, but you need a visa to come to Algeria.

My advice is to apply for a tourist visa without mentioning your friend name or anything, otherwise the Algerian embassy will ask u an invitation letter from the hosting friend and this will take months..

Middleburg, Florida
Level Contributor
5 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: i need help!!!

My familial visa (with letter from friend) took 4 business days.... again, with a tourism visa, you'' need to submit your travel itierary including hotel booking info with the visa application. If you have this, and it's not an issue, then that's great. The invitation from a friend needs to be notorized at the city hall where the friend lives. This is very inexpensive and takes only a few minutes. It also offers and additional safety for you.

We didn't have any issue in Oran. There are some nice beaches, and it's a busy port city so I think safety is not a real issue - just be wise about where you go - I would not go into any isolated areas. The cities are the safest place to be.

mumbai
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: i need help!!!

hi,

I would like to ask you also about how the situation in Oran?

7. Re: i need help!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 19:18
Get answers to your questions about Oran