We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight or Bus

Which Rurrenabaque hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Flight or Bus

Hi my friends and I are debating whether to get the bus or plane to Rurrenabaque. The bus takes 18-20 hours but has the advantage of being pretty cheap. I have looked into flights and had quotes ranging from around £109. However I have seen some people on forums quoting about $80 but I am not sure if this is just for a single trip or not? Or whether it is best to book in advance or just when in La Paz?

Any help would be great!

14 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight or Bus

We flew and, having done a few long bus trips in Bolivia and elsewhere in SA, were glad we did! We booked a couple of days before flying and had no problems getting seats and the fares did not seem to alter whenever we booked.

Amazonas were ok ( if you ignore the fact that landing in Sucre from La Paz the Amaszonas flight before ours had crashed off the side of the runway an hour before we landed!!) I think TAM were a little cheaper but didn't fly so often.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight or Bus

if you take a bus there, can you just pay for aa flight back if you want?

London
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight or Bus

Yes you can. Amaszonas and tam have offices in Rurrenabaque and it was easy enough to get tickets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight or Bus

We took the bus there and flew back as we were short on time. We loved the bus. It's a long (ish) journey but we loved it. If you want to be on the side of the bus to see the massive drop offs, then sit on the left hand side of the bus. We had a great view but it is very scary how close to the edge of the cliff the bus gets.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight or Bus

is it half the price only gettting a one way flight?

Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight or Bus

Rurrenabaque is a great place to visit. The road to Rurrenabaque from La Paz is known as the death road. I was aprox. 6 inches from being one of their casualties. I was on a bus that was backing down so a truck could get by that was going the opposite way. The lady in front of me looked out the window and screamed. The bus driver just kept backing up. I got up and looked out the window and saw that we were 6 inches from hitting a 3 foot area that had been eroded from the road and there was probably a 2000 feet drop. I screamed and then the bus driver stopped. I thought it would be fun to take this road, being I'm a bit adventurous however we flew back with Amaszones airlines and the flight was much better. I would not recommend Amaszones though if you have a choice. I just reciently booked a flight aprox. 9 months in advance. There are reasons for that however this appears to be a huge mistake. After I purchased my flight, while looking for another flight I saw something on their web site that suggested I may need to pay an extra fee so I emailed them. I received an email, responding to my message asking what these extra costs or penalties are. In their email, they just told me they are 60 dollars each 6 months. I have two tickets I've purchased, my wife and I, so this will increase my ticket purchase by 240 dollars. Because I booked 9 months early, I will need to pay 60 dollars twice for each ticket. How do you think I feel about this airline? I emailed BOA which is a competitor of theirs and I asked about all their different fares. They said you can just choose whatever fare is cheapest and there are no penalties unless you change your flight times. Please be careful when using Amaszonas airline, especially if you are planning to purchase quite a bit of time in advance. The term "Revalidation" is the reason they gave for this fee. Also I had a non refundable fare. Good luck and have fun.

Edited: 05 May 2014, 17:17
Mount Vernon...
Level Contributor
13 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight or Bus

I just received an email from Amazonas Airlines that said that they were sorry and that there would be no extra fees for my tickets purchased in advance.

London
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight or Bus

Good to hear you got it sorted out.

Melbourne, Australia
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight or Bus

Hi. Has anyone taken the bus to Rurrenabaque recently. One of the reviews makes it sound scary but it reads like they are describing the old death road -- the one that you go mountain bike riding on. There is a new road to Coroico now so not sure why a bus would go on the old road. If anyone has taken this bus trip can you comment on whether there are scary parts beyond Coroico?

Towson, Maryland
Level Contributor
39 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight or Bus

I've seen the road, I've seen the driving and I would not want to spend 18-20 hours on a night bus with every chance of risk. It is evidently cheap. I booked on Amazonas two weeks before my flight. The round trip was around $204. They allowed one check in bag free and one bag on board free. The flight from El Alto was canceled but the staff put me on an earlier flight so I did get to Rurrenabaque early. This airport is actually a thatchroof bungalow believe it or not! The tarmac is really an airstrip. The plane arrives and parks on the strip. Amazonas buses come and pick passengers up as they climb down to the strip. Then the luggage follows. We wait in the main room of the bungalow until the bags come and we leave with our guides who receive us. On the way out there are airport fees and another publicity fee. It is annoying but all travelers pay. So it costs more to fly but is only 50 minutes and very scenic. If time is money please fly.

Reply to: Flight or Bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted