We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

malaria in Manaus?

Which Manaus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fairfield, Iowa
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
malaria in Manaus?

We were advised to take malaria pills since we'll be staying outside Manaus for three days. But a friend who was there with an elderhostel last year said their group did not take malaria pills. It seems that if there was a danger the elderhostel would be the first to be advised. Anyone know anything about this?

Fairfield, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: malaria in Manaus?

We were also advised to take the malaria pills before we arrived. We were staying along the Rio Negro in the Tropical Manaus, and there wasn't a bug problem at all.

The locals told us the river is too acidic there to support mosquitoes.

My advice after traveling for twenty years is to take the pills anyway. They cost little and the issues that come up if you do contract malaria cannot be nice........Think of it like getting a flu shot before flu season.

Ron

Fairfield, Iowa
Level Contributor
47 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: malaria in Manaus?

Thanks for your insight. After I read your post I contacted the EcoPark Lodge where we'll be staying and they said the same thing about mosquitos. I am concerned with the side effects of larium, so am still trying to figure it out.

Fairfield, NJ
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: malaria in Manaus?

My side effects have been minimal, and I am a pain in the neck.......I am taking the oncve a week anti-malarial, cannot remember the name.

After taking it each week, I feel a bit run down for the rest of the day, like the flu is coming on. I take it on Saturday evening and have a good excuse on Sunday why no chores get done that day......

Ron

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: malaria in Manaus?

I just came off the anti-malarial drug Malarone and had 0 (zero) side effects.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: malaria in Manaus?

We have travelled down the Amazon the last 2 years on an open air boat in June & have yet to even see a mosquito. That being said, we have taken our anti-malaria medication, just in case. We took Malarone because it seems to have the least side effects. We had no side effects either time.

6. Re: malaria in Manaus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 September 2009, 22:21