We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

Which Manaus hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento,CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

Hello dear travelers,

The guide books don't offer much help on where to stay if you want to be conveniently located to the boat that takes you to the Amazon lodges. Are these boat transfers all over the city or do they depart from one place?

We arrive in Manaus early afternoon and plan to stay the night before heading to Amazon Eco Lodge the next morning. It would be nice to do some sightseeing during the day and have good Brazilian food at night (i.e. not McDonalds or the Mall food court). We are a couple looking for a clean, comfortable, conveniently located hotel in a safe area for around $100 - $120 a night. Not sure which neighborhood we should be looking at. Any advice is appreciated, thank you!!

Manaus
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

I'd recommend Chez Le Rois, a small inn located on Vieiralves neighborhood, a safe area with good restaurants on walking distance. The only catch is the hotel is a little distant from downtown where most sites are. A taxi fare to the Teatro Amazonas would cost around U$10-U$20.

Also it would be wise to ask where the boat transfer will take place. If it is on Tropical Hotel marina it only make sense to stay at Tropical Hotel itself or at the Park Suites Manaus next door. Have in mind though that these hotels are located at Ponta Negra neighborhood, an upscale and remote area, far from downtown.

Sacramento,CA
Level Contributor
24 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

Hello,

Obrigado for your reply!

Am I correct to assume that boats leaving for Amazon Lodges leave either from the marina in Ponta Negra or from downtown Manaus?

Sylvia

Manaus
Level Contributor
155 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

Although Im sure there are exceptions, yes thats the general rule. Personaly Id avoid staying in downtown hotels.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

What guide book do you use? The one I have (Lonely Planet) has lots of hotels, as do others I've seen. And the very Web site you're using has lots of reviews tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g303235-Manaus_Amazon…

Edited: 21 June 2013, 12:23
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
124 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

We stayed at Go Inn and would return (actually, we did). It served as a great base right in downtown Manaus (around the corner from the Opera House). They had a surprisingly good dinner buffet as well. The staff barely spoke any English though so communication was a bit difficult.

Moscow
Level Contributor
822 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

This post is a bit dated but may be helpful to others. I stayed in the Hotel Brasil (http://www.hotelrazil.com.br/#), which is two minutes from the Opera House and about 20 minutes' walk from the passenger port and fish market. It's nothing very special, an old building, the staff had little or no english, the hotel was also somewhat noisy in some rooms (get one at the back). However, they offered a decent breakfast and good wifi. One doesn't get much more in Manaus for R$95 per night. It was also close to the tour operator's office which added convenience.

7. Re: Where to stay for a night before heading to jungle??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 05:16