We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itaparica or Guarajuba?

new jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Itaparica or Guarajuba?

Hello,

I am trying to finalize my itinerary for 5 nights in the Salvador area. I have visited the historical parts of Salvador on a prior trip and would like to spend this trip relaxing on a beautiful beach, sipping a tropical drink and eating great seafood without too many human distractions. Which area fits my description best? Thank you in advance for your help.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Itaparica or Guarajuba?

They both have their attractions and I like them both.

Itaparica is a rural island (with a town of the same name) with various beaches, including the one that has Club Med and the spectacular view across to Salvador, as well as many cheaper, tranquil ones. Although there are a lot of features to recommend a stay on The Island, including ease of access and its rural nature, at other than high tide, the water level can be pretty shallow for swimming. Plenty of friendly barracas, many pousadas of varying quality, plenty of deserted beaches to walk on, the occasional horse to rent to ride along the beach. Away from the Club Med side, and where the schooner tours moor for lunch, not many gringos, but friendly locals. No nightlife really except at Carnaval.

Guarajuba is a quiet little village of vacation residences for wealthy Brazilians, with a long stretch of palm fringed beach, set along the coast just north of Salvador. It's a bit of an effort to get to by public transportation. There are big rolling waves, a couple of barracas, one restaurant, one little store, and, I believe, only one not-cheap hotel. You'd have to take a taxi to nearby Praia do Forte for any nightlife, people watching, shopping, or movement (except maybe on the weekend).

Rome
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itaparica or Guarajuba?

Itaparica is a lovely tropical island ( I loved driving through its interior) but IMO its beaches are only worth not worth a day trip from Salvador, definitely not a transatlantic flight (given the beaches you can find in other parts of Brazil). Since you've already visited the city of Salvador I suggest you go further down Bahia state (Morro de Sao Paulo, Boipeba...) where you can finde nicer beaches otherwise you might be disappointed

Edited: 14 October 2010, 08:47
new jersey
Level Contributor
86 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itaparica or Guarajuba?

Thank you. I've been to Mauro de Sao Paulo and was thinking of Boipeba but it seems hard to get to without wasting travel time. I don't want to spend $400 roundtrip on a flight because I will need to fly to Rio in 5 days. Do you know anything about the Guaruba beach area and whether this area will meet my objective of lounging on a beautiful beach and eating great seafood?

4. Re: Itaparica or Guarajuba?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2011, 05:19