We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

Bordeaux, France
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

Hi,

I have seen lots of info on how to get to Boipeda, but not very much on the connection back to Salvador - what is the best way / how long will it take etc.

I can't afford to fly.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks,

Amye

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

Yes, you just reverse the route you took to get there.

Bordeaux, France
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

Hi,

I know I can do the journey in reverse.

Do you have any idea of the times of the return boat / bus / boat?

Thanks,

Amye

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

In Boipeba time doesn´t exist =)

The last time i was in Boipeba which was 2008,the boats left 0730 and 1400 to Valenca.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

The Salvador car ferry (45 min) to/from Bom Despacho leaves hourly throughout the day, with more departures during the morning and evening "rush hours". The bus to/from BD/Valenca (2 hrs) is usually timed to meet the ferry. From/to Boipeba/the port in Valenca, take an hourly (7h-17h) lancha (1 hr, R$35) . (garca.branca@yahoo.com) or the slower local boat (dep 12:30, 4 hrs, no Sunday service).

Actually, poster "Maplelagjames", who spends his yearly escapes from Canada on the beach in Boipeba, is the poster who has the most intimate knowledge of Boipeba on the forum, so contact him for more details if you need. He might also have suggestions for places to stay, things to do, etc. and he loves to talk about Bahia !

Bordeaux, France
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

Hi,

Thank you both for your help.

I am clearly still in 'work' mode. I need Boipeda to chill out!

Amye

Edited: 04 January 2011, 12:06
Callaway, Minnesota
Level Contributor
116 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

Thanks TCant for the kind words and while Canada is very close, about 3 hours away, I reside and run a Nordic Resort in northern Minnesota and it is a Winter Wonderland here with over 50 inches of snow since Thanksgiving. Minus 18 degrees below yesterday morning, but it warmed to 10 above F and with no wind, it felt like a day at the beach and the skiing was fantastic. Now it is 9 below and no wind and the skiers are heading out. In fact we have a high school ski meet today here at Maplelag with over 150 racers expected.

I have made the trip to Boipeba and back many, many times, and when you hit the connections right, it is always under 4 hours. The launch leaves Boipeba maybe 3 or 4 times in the morning depending on the day of the week and the time of the year, and with no low tide problems, I have done it sometimes in 50 minutes. Catch a cab for 10 R to bus station and hopefully a bus will head soon for the car ferry to Salvador. Once I even scored a cab from Valencia to the car ferry for 60 R and that was nice.

But to me the trip is part of the romance of the travel and not a burden at all and a fun way to see the countryside from various aspects.

And Boipeba is such a magical place to just kick back and relax and watch the flow of life in a wonderful small village that carries on a normal lifestyle and not letting tourism be the overall engine that dictates the pattern of life.

I have stayed in some great pousadas and also rented houses and it has all worked for me. And while at the beach I prefer the property or barraca on the south end or the end of the line just before you make the turn to Pousada Santa Clara. Their various seafood moquecas are outstanding.

If any questions, I would be more and glad to respond.

Jim in a Winter Wonderland

www.maplelag.com

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

Sorry Jim. Was thinking north and snow (& not thinking clearly). :-)

(Also my trips up your way have been back and forth across borders in the Boundary Waters/Quetico so it's a blur to me....trees, lakes, moose, lakes, trees...... :-)

8. Re: Boipeda - getting bacl to Salvador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 07:23