We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

London, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

Going with my wife and staying for 3 or 4 nights. Which area is the best to stay?

Emerald City
Level Contributor
91 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

That rather depends on your tastes. Most tourists stay either in the Centro Historico or somewhere by the beach, Barra, Rio Vermelho or Ondina. By comparison with the others Ondina lacks amenity so I would suggest looking at the other three.

If you choose the Pelourinho I'd recommend the Villa Bahia in Largo do Cruzeiro de Sao Francisco. The food there is very good. It's a boutique hotel that's been renovated in an appealing manner.

Edited: 31 March 2011, 07:59
Rome
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

*Pelourinho (= old town, i.e. baroque treasures )

*Barra = beaches ( its Porto da Barra beach is Salvador's best urban beach). The neighbourhood itself is not impressive in terms of buildings (nothing to do with Pelourinho) but the walk between the farol (lighthouse) and the aforementioned Porto da Barra beach is lovely, especially at sunset.

*Rio vermelho has a great restaurant and bar scene, go there one of the nights you're staying in Salvador

All these locations are a quick bus/taxi ride away from each other...I like the Pelourinho and the rest of Centro Historico a lot for their unique atmospehere but as I like to hit the beach after or before sight-seeing, I always stay in Barra.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

The decision, as above, is beach or historic district.

In Barra, I'd recommend the Estrela do Mar pousada.

A couple of thoughts: Some folks have found the aggressive child beggars and adult touts in the historic district to be tiresome, so at very least, be prepared for this when you visit/stay. The early morning beachside life of the residents of all ages (walking, swimming) in Barra gives an interesting insight into local life.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

For the best depend of your taste !!

Beach otherwise is Barra or Flamingo, Itapua but you will be fare from historic place.

Nightlife, concert, music, dance you need to stay not to fare from Pelorinho it can be Pelorinho or Santo Antonio

Capoeira is Santo Antonio for the Forte

Enjoy

Nat

Jacksonville...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

As stated previously, it depends on your tastes and preferences, but overall I would recommend Barra because of the shopping, beach, sightseeing, nightlife, and gastronomy options. Barra offers something for everyone. The highlights, in my opinion, are the beach at Porto da Barra, the Barravento and Pereira bar/restaurants (www.restaurantepereira.com.br), and the sunset at Farol da Barra.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

Thanks for contributing BahiaJax. We need more posters truly knowledgable about Salvador on the forum. Look forwar to hearing more from you.

7. Re: What is the best area to stay in Salvador?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 23:18