We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport to Rio Vermelho bu bus?

Which Salvador hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Airport to Rio Vermelho bu bus?

Hello,

We will be arriving today around 5PM and want to take the bus to Rio Vermelho. I just read in Frommer's that there is a bus but that only gos to the edge of Poulerhino.

Is there a bus that goes allthe way to Rio Vermelho? (We'll be staying at the Ibis). If so; is it recommended and which one is it?

Thanks

Alex

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport to Rio Vermelho bu bus?

Rio Vermelho is on the way from the airport to the Pelourinho not beyond it. If you take the airconditioned mini bus from outside the terminal that goes to Praça da Sé (next to the acarajé stand) it will take you along the coast and past/through Rio Vermelho. Just tell the driver where you want to get off. The nearest intersection, inbound, would be R.Oswaldo Cruz and R. Arquibaldo Baleeiro (your hotel is on the opposte side to the latter, down R. Fonte do Boi). It will be a short walk to your hotel.

There are various public buses that will get you there but if you have luggage and or don't know the city I wouldn't recommend it. They are only marginally cheaper anyway.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport to Rio Vermelho bu bus?

Thanks Jorge for the quick response and level of detail.

Do you knowwhat's the name of the bus company, by any chance.

And an (somewhat) unrelated question: is Rio Vermelho safe to walk in the evening? I assume we will be fine when getting from the bus to the hotel, but if we come back from restaurant around 10-10:30 or so?

Obrigado

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport to Rio Vermelho bu bus?

And also: how to go to different sites in Rio Vermelho: by foot? Bus? or taxi?

Different advice for day or evening?

Vatican City, Italy
Level Contributor
760 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport to Rio Vermelho bu bus?

There is only one bus opposite the terminal. The public buses all leave/arrive from the other side of the car park. You really can't miss it and there's one about every 20 minutes or so.

Safety? IMO Rio Vermelho is safe enough to walk around of an evening, especially the more populated parts like Largo da Mariquita, which will be about a five minute walk from you. Your hotel is in a fairly sedate residential neighbourhood. My wife used to live in Rio Vermelho and we used to walk around at all hours.

That said the only time I have ever been mugged or rather the victim of an unsuccesful mugging was not far from there, near the Quartel de Amaralina but that was in broad daylight and I suppose it was just one of those random happenings that could have occurred anywhwere. The upper parts of Amaralina (Nordeste de Amaralina) are not somewhere you want to wander about by yourself.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,123 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport to Rio Vermelho bu bus?

Thanks for all the advice Jorge. Not to take it the wrong way, but I wanted to share my experience with the fellow travelers. Hopefully it's a one of. we waited for the bus for 1h15 min and took the first one who showed up, Not the AC the red one. It took us about 45 min to get to Rio Vermelho and people were hopping on an off. This was pretty much a city bus but with a small section for luggage.

The driver was nice and dropped us exactly at our street and told us how to go to the hotel. So it was easy.

For the area: I guess I haven't yet seen the fun part of Rio Vermelho. My street looked very quiet at night. Almost too quiet to venture anywhere further than where the bus dropped us. We'll go exploring today.

6. Re: Airport to Rio Vermelho bu bus?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 January 2014, 10:17