We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

N.Y. Times article on Salvador

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
N.Y. Times article on Salvador

“Salvador has experienced a surge in violent crime, chaotic traffic, and the metamorphosis of once-elegant seaside districts into crime-ridden areas.”

http://nyti.ms/17ZoNJD

ireland
Level Contributor
598 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

Thats great news to be hearing having flights and an apartment booked for next years World Cup!

2. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 November 2013, 15:05
Edited: 16 November 2013, 15:05
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

Relatives of my wife who live in Salvador would agree with the article but, of course, based on their own experiences (just anecdotal evidence).

Auckland Central...
Level Contributor
752 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

I'm nervous about visiting Salvador...! But I hope at Carnival time people are generally in a better mood. Of course my friends and I will 'dress down' and not have phones, cameras, watches or maybe even sunglasses with us.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
20,494 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

Salvador de Bahia Safety:

http://bit.ly/1ikeMLc

Safety monitor—Salvador:

http://bit.ly/HZcP9m

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
778 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

Thanks for sharing this article. It is very interesting (and sad) to read about the growing pains Salvador is experiencing as it deals with this rapid growth. Clearly the infrastructure and social support networks haven't kept up.

I've read a few times that security/police presence around Carnaval cities is top notch. I'll be as vigilant as always, but not overly concerned for my physical safety.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

The only thing that was new to me was that Salvador is now the murder capital.But let us not forget that most killings in the article was in areas not visited by tourists.Who really visits Nordeste de Amaralinha or Bairro da Paz?The 15 year old Brazilian Tourist,may have been in a slum since he got shot by a straybullet in a gunbattle.I think there is no reason to panic,just have common sense and you will be fine.

Sao Paulo,Brazil
Level Contributor
1,920 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

You missed some points Braziliansweden:

"Salvador’s malaise is tainting its once vibrant tourism industry. In Barra, a waterfront area where surfers still catch waves off sun-kissed beaches, an Italian owner of a small hotel was bludgeoned to death in late 2010"

"Even Pelourinho, the colonial-era district rich in gilded churches and historical monuments, is not immune. "

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,640 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

I read about that paulista1950 and was there in 2010.In 2010-2013 i have seen business as usual with tourists doing the same things as always.The crack thing in Pelourinho is not new as there is a crack area near the Church of San Franscisco.Salvador may be now the murder capital but those numbers are in areas where tourists dont frequent.Barra 2010 was calm,safe as in 2013.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
44 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: N.Y. Times article on Salvador

I´m from Salvador. Yes , it´s true, but youll be ok if you take some precautions.