We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

Hello,

In Salvador, I'm really interested in seeing some capoeira. Where would be a good place to see it? Should I just watch it being done in public? Or is there a building to watch it at? Do people who perform congregate at a specific part of the city? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
246 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

I saw some in Pelourinho. Theres suppose to be a party there every Tuesday night. You can pick up some BBQ or acaraje and watch from your seat. If you whip out your camcorder you will be asked to donate to the school that is performing.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

tudobem62014,

Thanks for the info. Did you take pictures or record them on your camcorder/camera, and subsequently got asked to pay? If you did, how much did you pay?

Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

Some of the major Capoeira schools are situated in the Forte de Santo Antonio (end of the historic city center in the Santo Antonio neigborhood, from Pelourinho walk down to the Ladeira do Carmo and then go up, once up your in the Rua Direita de Santo Antonio, at the end of this street you will get to a place where the frortress is situated)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

Quecoi, I can't find the location you mentioned on the map. Can you give me an address or landmark so I can enter it in Google Maps? Thanks.

Level Contributor
85 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

Rs3sport

Go on google maps, search for this

"Largo de Santo Antônio Além do Carmo, Salvador - Bahia, Brazilië"

and you will get the Praça de Santo Antonio, with the drawing of a fortress above it, that's the Forte de Santo Antonio where you will find the Capoeira schools

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

Thanks quecoi. I've seen some capoeira clips on Youtube that are in front of that fortress. Ahhh, so now I know where that is located in the city.

7. Re: Where to Watch Capoeira in Salvador

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2015, 05:16