We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

We are staying at the Iberostar Bahia, Praia do Forte in September and would like more information about visiting Rio./Amazon River & Falls

Can any one give me any detailed information about the organised trips run by Air Tours/Thomas Cook Information needed PLEASE

· What is the cost of the trip?

· What is included? – Meals, entrance fees, accommodation etc

· What extras do we need to budget for? tipping etc

· What is the duration of the trip? – Timings, type and standard of accommodation if applicable

· The itinerary

· Did you have Yellow fever vacination and did you take malaria tablets?

Any other recommendations or advise please

Many thanks in advance

Baiano Transporte e Turismo
Taxis & Shuttles, Day Trips, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours
Mais Bahia Turismo
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Cultural Tours, Taxis & Shuttles
O Guia de Turismo
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Night Tours, City Tours, Day Trips
Bahia Top Turismo
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
251 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

Alo,

I can answer your question about yellow fever.

No, you do not need to have the yellow fever vaccine if you are coming to Salvador. However it is recommended for the Falls.

Here is what mdtravelhealth.com says about this:

"Yellow fever vaccine is recommended for all those greater than nine months of age traveling to areas in Brazil where yellow fever occurs, which includes all areas in the states of Acre, Amapa, Amazones, Goias, Maranhao, Mato Grosso, Mato Grosso do Sol, Minas Gerais, Para, Rondonia, Roraima, and Tocantins, and parts of the states of Bahia, Parana, Piaui, Rio Grande do Sul, and Sao Paulo (see the CDC map for details). Yellow fever vaccine is recommended for Iguacu Falls, but is not necessary for the coastal cities, including Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Salvador, Recife, and Fortaleza.

Yellow fever vaccine is required for travelers greater than nine months of age arriving from a yellow-fever-infected country in Africa or the Americas. The vaccine is also required for travelers arriving from

Africa: Angola, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Sudan.

Americas: Bolivia, Columbia, Ecuador, and Peru."

Northumberland
Level Contributor
36 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

Hi,

Just returned from this fantastic hotel (20/12/07).

We did the Thomas cook trip to Rio for 1 night. They do a 2 night trip but are both priced the same, which is £375 pp. I will take you through our 1 night trip.

We left the hotel at 05:30am did various pick ups and flew from Salvador. Its a 2 hour flight. Met at Rio by tour guide and taken to hotel approx 40mins transfer. We stayed at The Merlin Hotel which is approx 10mins walking from Cocoabana beach. Hotel very comfortable and clean. This was about 1200hrs and we had the rest of the day and night to explore. They do organise various trips but its your choice what to do and no pressure. We were told we would be picked up at 11:00hrs (sun) to do all the sightseeing.

This was a fantastic day and would not have missed it for the world. You go up sugar loaf, visit a church (dont be put off, its fantastic) visit the national football stadium, visit the area where they do the carnival and get dressed up (optional) then have lunch. The final vist was up to christ the redeemer- marvellous. Then its back to the airport. This was about 7:15pm. It was full day but well worth the trip alone.

Our thoughts: The day we had to ourselfs(sat) was ok durning the day but at night we felt nervous and saw alot of homelees sleeping in doorways etc. My wife said that the area we were in seemed quite seedy as there was alot of strip-clubs. The (sun) was fantastic. The guide spoke good english and was very knowledgeable.

As for money, all trips are included and the hotel and breakfast . Anything else you have to pay for yourselves including drinks for the lunch you have.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions or queries please email: a.birchy@vigin.net

Have a wonderful time, we would not have missed this trip for anything.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

Northumberlandlad did I read your story correct? YOu can do one night in Rio or two nights in Rio and its the same price?

Any idea if you can do a trip to the Iguassu Falls from Praia de Forte?

Northumberland
Level Contributor
36 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

Hi,

Yes that is correct, you can do a 1 night or 2 night trip for the same price to Rio. That was through Thomas cook , I'm not sure if it was some sort of promotion at the time but it was certainly available in Jan07. Hope this helps.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

How strange! Any idea if you could go to Iguassu Falls from the hotel?

Northumberland
Level Contributor
36 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

Hi its Northumberland (again),

I have just got the sheet of the trips that Thomas Cook offered, the falls are not mentioned. However, neither was the Rio trip this was disscussed separately. I'm sure if you ask the rep (Lane) he will be able to assist you. If not there is a travel shop situated in the hotel and they should be able to help. Happy hunting and have a fantastic time.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

dyedred--

It's not so suprising that they would do two nights for the same price. You have to understand that the price that northumberland lad quoted, 375 pounds per person, is about twice as expensive as the actual trip costs, so they can afford to seem a little generous. IThe price covered the cost of van transfer to the airport, round trip flights, taxi/transport to and from the hotel, the hotel he mentioned for one night with breakfast, a tour, and van transport back from the airport to Praia do Forte.

That 375 pounds is R$1575 (Brazilian reis) per person x2=R$3150

(1 British Pound = 4.17613 Brazilian Real-- as of February 1, 2007)

Here's the breakdown:

2 RT flights Salvador-RIo-Salvador on GOL R$600

van transfers for 2 (PdF-airport/ airport-PdF) R$316

Hotel Merlin Copacabana double room w/breakfast R$306

tour of city for 2 people R$192

taxi to hotel form Rio airport and back R$200 __________________________________________________

TOTAL for 2 people R$1614

But you can still see that for two people the price comes in at about the same the company charges for one person.

And then you could upgrade to:

Best Western Sol Ipanema (better neighborhood)

http://www.solipanema.com.br/

R$370 std double/R$460 double sea view with breakfast

You can also set up an Iguacu trip the same way. It is very easy to get around there at the falls and it feels quite safe.

I hope this information may also help those folks whose tour companies have stopped flying.

Pleasant travels.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

Thanks for that northumberlandland and tcantarelli. Definitely something to think about.

Bristol, Uk
Level Contributor
32 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

Hi There- We are off to Brazil at the end of the month, and have booked through Going Places (Airtours). We have got a week at Iberostar, but also a week before we are doing the Rio/Falls/Amazon trip as well. The hotels on the trip are supposed to be the same class as your beach hotel (so 4*?) but will be interested to see how you get a 4* amazon lodge.

I did a lot of research before booking this as no-one seemed to do the amazon as part of their tours, except Airtours and Thomson. I have seen many people going on trips to Rio & the falls once over there, but not to the amazon (probably because it is a 10 hour flight from iguassu) so might be worth booking before you go if you want to go there. I can't actually say how much we paid to do this trip in addition as there was a lot of haggling going on, and Going Places gave us a huge shop discount. I can update you as to the hotels when I get back in March if you like

yes you need Malaria tablets, and if you also need them, I would recommend buying them from Tesco pharmacy- for 18 tablets it was £10 less than Lloyds

Yes you need yellow fever jabs- also phone around for this. I had mine last week and one surgery was quoting £40, but another one next door was only £35

Bristol, Uk
Level Contributor
32 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Iberosar Bahia Trip to Rio/Amazon/Falls & Vacinations

I meant to say yes you need the malaria and yellow fever if going to the amazon & falls. You don't need it for Praia do Forte only....