We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

Berkshire
Level Contributor
672 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

where are the best restaurants to find fresh whole fish, cooked anyway, but not a fillet.

we are in porto das dunas but willing to travel.

cheers

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

Most any barraca on most any beach in Brazil can supply a visitor with a whole fried fish for lunch.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Berkshire
Level Contributor
672 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

thanks tc but the question was "the best restaurants"not just any.

in my area of berkshire UK you will find countless fish and chip shops, but only one that i would call best!!

DJ
Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

I know of several places that could supply you with a whole cooked fish, but I doubt any one of them would be considered the best.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

Understood bocasecreto, but to me there IS no better place to be eating a fried fish hot out of the pan and a cerveja bem gelada than with friends at the beach. It couldn't taste any better if I were paying more or eating off fancier china.

Salvador, BA
Level Contributor
8,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

I guess the point that I wanted to make, and that may not have come across, is that it might be better to try taking a more Brazilian perspective on what is available and where.

The folks at the beach barracas in most places usually buy fish in the mid-morning from the guys who went out fishing at dawn. They buy just enough to get them through the day; when it's gone, it's gone. (So we are not talking about some generic piece of frozen, flash fried plaice.) Fried whole fish is something generally eaten at the beach, hot and tasty, with a cold beer and a great view.

The signature fish dish of the Fortaleza area is probably peixada, a fish stew using pieces of fish (not whole). A fancier restaurant might also feature a platter of lagosta and camarao. (In Brazilian cuisine, there is not such a strong tradition, as in Japanese or Chinese, of whole steamed fish, for example--but there are Japanese restaurants in Fortaleza.)

And I am sure you could try asking for whatever you fancied at any seafood restaurant and they would try to accomodate.

In my experience in Brazil, a more expensive, fancier restaurant doesn't necessarily mean better food than a more humble establishment. Mil Mares and Delicias do Mar are a couple of the more well-known seafood restaurants in Fortaleza, though, and I'm sure their reputations are justified.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Berkshire
Level Contributor
672 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

once again thanks for your lengthy and informative reply tc.

i take your point re. the location of fish barracas and that the whole atmosphere of eating fish and drinking beers on the beach is indeed why we're heading for fortaleza. it's an environment that's totally different to our own locality.

i just wondered if the locals would have a few places that they would recommend. i am not expecting anything fancy, just somebody's preferred choice of eaterie.

unfortunately it seems there aren't too many fortaleza locals that frequent TA.

still, it'll be fun trying out the many places on offer!!

thanks again!!

los angeles
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

hi

check out some restaurants on the going out guide ...

www.Cumbuco.com

My favourite sushi restaurante is Moyash !

Cheers Raione

8. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2008, 15:40
9. Re: best restaurant for whole fish in greater fortaleza area??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 10:19