We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in Fortaleza

Which Fortaleza hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in Fortaleza

Hello,

I will be in Fortaleza in April with three other American friends and I was wondering what the community here would suggest. I heard Jericoacoara is a nice place to go but a few hours drive. For the 4 days in Fortaleza, what would you recommend: Jericoacoara, Cumbuco, Canoa Quebrada, Fortaleza center,..? Any recommendation/insight is appreciated!

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
1,184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

Jericoacoara deserves more time -- the whole 4 days you have!

With 4 days in Fortaleza you can enjoy the city itself (2 days) and make day tours to Cumbuco (1 day) and Morro Branco/Canoa Quebrada (1 day).

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

Whether Jeri "deserves" 4 days, it's not feasible as a day trip. Too far. You give no indication at all as to your interests, budget, exact dates (e.g., if it's the week before Easter, beaches will be crowded, and Easter weekend in Fortaleza will be pretty dead) and what research you've done (e.g., from guide books).

You're going to rent a car (an expensive and harrowing experience but may be your best option), or use tours, or public transportation? Do you know anything at all about the city center? Many go to the central market IF they want to buy specific products. You don't say why you'll be there and where else you'll be going. If, for example, you're going mainly to beaches, you may want to head up to the serra (mountains) around Guaramiranga, for a change of pace.

Edited: 30 January 2014, 18:02
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

p.s. I think you can see the highlights of Fortaleza itself in a day, and then spend 2 nights in Jeri. Just a thought. You can do Canoa Quebrada as a day trip (lots of places offer tours in vans), but you'd spend much of the day on the highway.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

Thank you for the help so far! So we are going to Brazil for 3 weeks and will be visiting Rio de Janeiro, Manaus, Iguazu Falls, and Fortaleza area. So in Fortaleza we want to get as much of a different experience as we can get from the other places. We like both the nightlife and nature. It looks like staying overnight in Jericoacoara is a must. Is one day in Fortaleza enough to feel the city and explore nightlife?

Should we go to any beach in Fortaleza city?

Is Cumbuco and/or Canoa Quebrada too different from Jericoacoara?

Thank you!

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
3,954 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

going to Jeri for 1 night only is a waste of time. it is quite a trek to get there. read comment #3 on this thread - some other foreign tourist who just did it:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g303297-i11115-k67…

if you decide the Jeri route, then I would say it is 1 night in Fortaleza and 3 in Jeri.

local residents can fill you in bettter, but my views as a tourist (I went there a few times) are that beaches in the city of Fortaleza are not that good if you plan on swimming etc... Meireles beach has a great boardwalk to walk around, see local handcraft, taste local foods etc. But not for actual beachtime. The "better" beach in Fortaleza, Praia do Futuro is farther away. While better for swimming etc, it is far from a must-see place. You go there because it is the best "in-town" beach (but a bad area to lodge).

You kind of have to decide what your priorities are for Fortaleza. If its gorgeous beach, then go to Jeri 3 nights and 1 in Fortaleza to see what the city offers.

If Jeri is too much of a trek, suggestions by #1 above are pretty good for a fist time visitor. I did all of that and enjoyed it. Canoa Quebrada is a charming beach town, you can overnite there too.

btw, Cumbuco area is great for kitesurfing, one of best spots in world (just need to check best months). If you take a day trip to area, you can see lots of kitesurfers.

if interested, there is a water park close to Fortaleza that has the tallest water slide in the world.... many day trips there too:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g303285-d3…

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

There are excellents restaurants in Fortaleza, not just typical food for lunch or dinner, there are for "Happy hour", time before dinner, when people get out of work and go to pubs that offer it to drink with friends and listen music. If you want to go to a Kind of amusement park on the beah, you should visit "Beach Park", the beach around there is beautiful too. Shows and places to dance is very typical of the city, too. Have a nice time! People there are wonderful hosts. There are a place called "Dragão do Mar" where therere are interesting exhibitians for tourissts and pubs near there where you can listen different kinds of music like Brazilian Rock (pop), samba, chorinho, forró...There are wonderful beaches and you should knoew places that aresafer, but I think during world Cup there won´t be problems, a lot of polivemen on the streets!

Have a nice time in the city! Welcome to Brazil!

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

Beaches in front of the main hotels in Meireles aren't very good for swimming. Best "in-town" beach area is Praia do Futuro (beyond the port area). Kind of a dicey area around it, but the beach itself should be safe, especially near the large barracas (restaurants), which have their own security. Water is cleaner and waves bigger than in Meireles. Lots of tour agencies offer one day trips in vans to various beaches outside of town. There is a large water slide park, Beach Park, near Prainha. Expensive, but popular. Beaches there are pretty nice, and you don't have to go into the water slide park to use the beach.

The time you have is the time you have. I wouldn't personally skip Jericoacoara-- your only chance to ever see it, perhaps-- just because you don't have 4 full days to devote to it, but that's me, and there are other beach areas, not quite as nice but also closer, where you could go by car or bus for the night. Taiba would be quiet. Canoa Quebrada known for its nightlife.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 14:39
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

The pre-Carnaval festas have begun, just outside our condo. Fair number of police, but they tend to congregate in groups and chat among themselves. Our building hired an armed guard for the Saturday nights when they have these festas, since some people tried to break in one night (probably just drunk; lots o drunk teenagers buying booze at temporary street stands). NOT saying you should avoid the city, and there will be a fair number of police in the tourist areas, but don't take your safety for granted. Don't carry more money than you can afford to lose.

Be cautious and have a good time.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

You are right, Sutter. Meirellis is not a good place in Fortaleza for visitor, I shouldn´t have mentioned an accomodation there before. My mistake. The time I visited there the city was too crowded, an accomodation in Meirellis was the only one I could get there some days before I had gone to Fortaleza. I didn´t stayed around there anytime.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in Fortaleza

Meireles is fine for a visitor. Most higher-end hotels there. Just not particularly good beaches. Fine for strolling under the trees, looking at the beach. Praia do Futuro good for swimming, but I wouldn't stay there overnight.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 12:37