We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeping at Fortaleza Airport WC2014

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeping at Fortaleza Airport WC2014

Hi,

We will be going from Natal to Fortaleza to watch Brasil's game and we are debating if we should take the overnight bus to arrive early in the morning to Fortaleza or if we should fly the night before and spend the night (midnight to around 8am) at the airport -inside the gates area-.

Has anyone slept at the Fortaleza airport lately?

Most of the hotels require a 2 night stay and we cannot do it that way, that is why our only options are sleeping at the airport or the overnight bus.

Thank you for your help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeping at Fortaleza Airport WC2014

I would assume sleeping at airports would be a no no, as they tend to be in less than salubrious areas, but if you manage to stay airside...

Brazilian airports tend to have departures at crazy hours (2am, 4am, 5am,) so who knows, maybe it's doable. people will be around.

I'm thinking of getting that very same overnight bus as I haven't found a reasonable flight and I'm going to the game in Natal on the 16th

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeping at Fortaleza Airport WC2014

Once you disembark, you go to the baggage area, and then exit into the main terminal area. You can't stay within the secure area unless, perhaps, if you want to risk your bags sitting on the baggage carousel all night long. The airport is open all night, as there are flights at all hours, There is no place comfortable to lie down. You coud go up to the area of the food court on the second floor or, on the floor above, in an area where there's a waiting area with a view of the tarmac. But no place comfortable to sleep. Plus the airport is likely to be very busy, and noisy, at all hours. It's a bit of a dumpy airport, though not dangerous inside. It is going to have probems coping with the WC crowds. We know this airport. We plan to be far, far away.

The areas near the airport are not safe and you would not want to sleep anywhere nearby, even if there were a hotel there. Almost all hotels are near the ocean. Why can't you stay 2 nights? You say "most" require 2 nights stay. Offhand it sounds like you're economizing at the expense of your safety and comfort.

Edited: 05 February 2014, 18:43
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeping at Fortaleza Airport WC2014

http://tinyurl.com/n94jhs8 This may give you an idea of the types of chairs you'd encounter at FOR. If you can sleep in chairs like this, assuming you can find one unoccupied, great, but do keep your bags next to you, preferably with a strap or something around your arm or leg. I thin the food court on the second floor pretty much shuts down late at night, but it has the typical chairs-and-tables you'd expect to find. The observation area on the third area may have some chairs available.

There at least used to be self-service lockers in the main lobby area, but I don't know if they're still there and if they work well. A temporary terminal will, in theory, be operational from May-July but I don't know how that may affect your options. The permanent modifications and expansion that were to be done this year now won't be done until 2017 (oops).

Edited: 06 February 2014, 18:54
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeping at Fortaleza Airport WC2014

Better link to photo, and airport description in English: infraero.gov.br/index.php/us/airports/ceara/…

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeping at Fortaleza Airport WC2014

@ Sutter @ Samcana Thank you so much for your feedback!!!!

We were lucky enough to find a very decent flight $ and also a decent pousada close to the beach, so we will arrive early the day before the Brazil match and will spend the night there flying back after the match.

Your information may help others having the same situation

Cheers

6. Re: Sleeping at Fortaleza Airport WC2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2015, 07:19