We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

Twin Cities...
5 posts
Save Topic
Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

I'm driving to Appleton this weekend, and was wondering whether you had any recommendations for scenic roads coming East from Wausau or so. Or scenic roads from Oshkosh to Tomah (return trip).

Thanks.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

I travel the Oshkosh-Tomah route regularly, and I always take Hwy 21. I don't know if it's really scenic but it is the fastest route. Plenty of small towns to drive through. It's only a 2 lane highway, so be prepared for possible slower moving vehicles.

Can't help on the east bound route from Wausau.

Have a good trip.

Mel

Twin Cities...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

Thanks.

WI
Destination Expert
for Wisconsin, Colorado Springs
Level Contributor
6,165 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

scenic drives in WI broken down:

www.allgetaways.com/region.asp?areaid=100976

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
242 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

I always like to check out Rustic Roads when I drive in Wisconsin, www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/scenic/maps.htm. When you head east from Wausau, you'll go right through Waupaca County, where there are three Rustic Roads, two in the Chain O' Lakes area between Hartman Creek State Park and Rural, a little New England-style hamlet on the Crystal River. From Rural, go east and you'll come to Little Hope and the pretty little Red Mill, which is surrounded by flowering trees this time of year.

This is glacial moraine, so it's really scenic. Farther south, there are four Rustic Roads along Wisconsin 21 between Appleton and the Wisconsin River. They're short, but they lead you to some fun places.

Beth at MidwestWeekends.com

Twin Cities...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

Thanks for the suggestions. It looks like a nice loop to get off US10 onto Rural Road 57, connecting to R23/24, into Rural and then to Little Hope. And a few nice side RR off of 21 also, on the way back. Looking forward to my drive.

Twin Cities...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

One last question, if I may:

Going East from Eau Claire area, how do US 10 (from Osseo to Stevens Point) versus State 29/73 (from Eau Claire to Wausau) compare? Thanks again.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
249 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

Hwy 29 is a 65 MPH 4-lane freeway road (2 lanes in each direction) between Eau Claire and Wausau -- in fact it is 4 lane all across the state between I-94 (near Chippewa Falls) and Green Bay. This does not necessarily equate with scenic, however we often see Amish buggies using Hwy 29 right along with us. There are also some cute towns and great cheese factories along the way, but you have to turn off of Hwy 29 to get to them. Hwy 10 goes straight through a number of sleepy towns, and is a 2-lane highway. There are also plenty of Amish farms and cheese factories accessible from Hwy 10 as well.

Twin Cities...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

Thanks for your tips. I had a nice trip, with very nice detours on the rustic roads. The town of Rural was great, with the water snaking through the town.

9. Re: Recommended Roads between Appleton & Wausau?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 07:22
Get answers to your questions about Appleton
Recent Conversations