We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Farming near Curitiba

Level Contributor
59 posts
211 reviews
Save Topic
Farming near Curitiba

We will be visiting Curitiba Feb 15 to the 21st and would like to see some of the farming area near Curitiba. Anyone have any suggestions on where and how to go. Thanks John

Brazil
Destination Expert
for Curitiba, New York City
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Farming near Curitiba

John,

I don't know what you have in mind - I do know that we have some soya crops not so near Curitiba (120 km), in the town of Ponta Grossa, but I don't think that's what you're after.

There are also what's called Caminho do Vinho (Wine Way), but it's not related to farming, as a matter of fact, as we have lots of Italian imigrants in Curitiba and region, there are such tours concerning their gastronomy, culture etc.

Here is the website of a private company that offer such tours, with English guides. I don't know it personally, check it out :

curitiba-travel.com.br/en/Caminho_do_Vinho

There is also other town that offers a similar tour - São José dos Pinhais. Its website is in Portuguese, but if you e-mail it, in English, perhaps you can get further info.

www.sjp.pr.gov.br/caminhodovinho/linhaturismo

Its e-mail is linhaturismo@vintageturismoeeventos.com.br

If it's not what you are looking for, I'm here for the asking.

Curitiba
Level Contributor
12 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Farming near Curitiba

Hello!

In the region of Ponta Grossa there are several farms and you can combine a tour to Vila Velha (stone formations) with a visit to Witmarsum, a menonite comunity, where there are several small farms, mainly producing milk, soy and corn.

Take a look at curitiba-travel.com.br/Vila_Velha_and_Witmar…

The tour is from the same company Cordeiro found for the wine tour.

If you are looking for bigger farms, there are such a big further. Maybe the same tour company can arrange things for you.

Best regards!!

Level Contributor
59 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Farming near Curitiba

Thank you very much for your response. I was thinking that one day we might rent a car and just drive through the country side. We like doing that on trips. My problem I do not know what to expect. Once out of the urban area is it farms or bush or what. It is nice to see on a local basis what things are like. It seemed that in the airport vacinity would be most convenient if there is farming to see. We do not care what kind. Just to get an idea of the country side. Not sure this makes sense and we may not have time anyway. Just like to check thing out ahead of time. I appreciate the web sites you gave us. They do help. Are there any maps you could recommend online? John

Curitiba
Level Contributor
12 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Farming near Curitiba

Dear John,

In the vicinity ti the airport you will find small farms, mainly from Italian and Polish descendants that raise vegetables and salad for the local market. Nothing big. In the direction to Ponta Grossa, the landscapes change and you have bigger farms, producing soy, corn, and cattle for milk. Some pork and poultry producers as well. The farms are bigger the furthest you get from Curitiba.

There are several bigger cooperatives, like Batavo and Castroland in Castro and Carambeí. Big producers, with technology and excellent production level.

Online maps would be google, but if you want parker ones buy 4 Rodas in any newspaper shop.

Hope it helps!

Edited: 31 January 2012, 22:18
Level Contributor
59 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Farming near Curitiba

Hello Bibiana. Thank you for your quick response and great information. That is exactly what we would like to see. I noticed in your profile you like to blend in with the locals when you travel. Our most enjoyable trips have been that type. We are attempting to learn some basic Portugese. We may be in touch again with some questions. John

6. Re: Farming near Curitiba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 March 2013, 09:26